Cruise Report: More overnight stops could lure passengers back to ships

The Independent
Overnight, the Costa Concordia disaster shattered the image of the most durably successful travel sector. The giant ship belonging to the world’s biggest cruise firm, Carnival, struck a rock on 13 January. By dawn the next day, more than 30 passengers  and crew had died. The big question for the cruise industry is: has that tragedy put off some potential customers for life?
Read More

Death-ship hottie talks

New York Post
By TIM PERONE The blonde who caught the eye of the cowardly captain of the Costa Concordia told a British newspaper that she likely would have bedded him had the cruise ship not crashed off the Italian coast last month, killing 25 people. “I admit that I was attracted to him, but, honestly, we did not have sex,” Domnica Cemortan told the press

Read More

Exploration Concordia stern sector of bridge 4 completed

Agenzia Giornalistica Italia
The delgated commissar’s group for the shipwreck emergency of the Costa Concordia made the report. “Contextually, the activity to set up another two work sites continues, respectively at center ship and in the prow area, near the amphitheater. The research in the light diver’s structure will continue to concentrate their search on the corridors
Read More

Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino faces new charges in cruise ship …

National Post
The captain of the Costa Concordia, the cruise ship that capsized off the coast of Italy last month killing at least 25 people, made a series of errors that were compounded by failures onshore by the ship’s operators, according to prosecution documents. Prosecutors accuse Captain Francesco Schettino of causing the accident by bringing the giant vessel too close to shore where it struck a rock that tore a large gash in the hull, causing water to flood into the engine rooms.
Read More

After Costa Concordia disaster, cruise companies offering aggressive discounts …

Economic Times
Following the Costa Concordia disaster, cruise companies have been aggressively lowering rates and ratcheting up promotions to lure back hesitant passengers. The two biggest companies – Carnival Corp., the parent of more than a half-dozen lines including Princess and Costa Cruises, and Royal Caribbean – saw bookings drop by percentages in the midteens in the weeks after the Concordia ran aground off the coast of Isola del Giglio on Jan. 13.
Read More

Reports indicate Costa Concordia captain faces new charge

StarPhoenix
The captain of the sunken Costa Concordia cruise liner is being prosecuted for failing to describe to maritime authorities the scope of the disaster, Italian media reported Thursday. Capt. Francesco Schettino and his first officer Ciro Ambrosio are already being investigated on charges of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all passengers were evacuated.
Read More

And the winner in the Italian cruise ship disaster documentary ratings race is…

Washington Post (blog)
By Lisa de Moraes
The capsized Costa Concordia cruise ship which ran aground off the west coast of Italy. (GIAMPIERO SPOSITO – REUTERS) We have a ratings victor in The Great Costa Concordia Dueling Disaster Documentary Derby. Discovery’s Costa Concordia documentary has slid past National Geographic Channel’s Concordia disaster doc. The premiere of Discovery’s “Cruise Ship Disaster: Inside the Concordia,” last Sunday averaged 1.83 million viewers.

Read More

Mumbai man still looking for relative in Costa Concordia wreck

Deccan Chronicle
By Gautam S. Mengle

Mumbai man Kevin Rebello, who has now spent 41 days looking for his brother Russell at the site of the sunken cruise liner Costa Concordia, has been spending a harrowing 48 hours since the discovery of eight new bodies in the wreck on Tuesday. “The bodies were pulled late on Tuesday night, and only one of them has been identified as yet. Read More

Italian shipwreck captain facing new charge

Herald Sun

  • Captain and first officer investigated for manslaughter
  • Leaks say Captain knew scale of crash, misled executives

Captain and first officer investigated for manslaughter leaks say Captain knew scale of crash, misled executives Eight bodies found at wrecked Italian cruise ship THE captain of the sunken Costa Concordiacruise liner is being prosecuted for failing to describe to maritime authorities the scope of the disaster. Read More

Concordia investigation widens beyond ship’s Captain

TravelMole
Seven more Costa Cruises staff are now under investigation following the tragic incident on board Costa Concordia. These include four Concordia officers and three Costa employees, including Roberto Ferrarini, head of the cruise company’s crisis unit. According to reports in the Italian press, Ferrarini was on the phone with the ship’s captain, Francesco Schettino, on the night of the incident.
Read More