Wednesday testimony claims Schettino was “in shock”
Closing arguments for the prosecution are scheduled Thursday and Friday in the trial of Francesco Schettino, captain of the Costa Concordia which shipwrecked off the Tuscan island of Giglio in January 2012, killing 32 people. In Wednesday’s hearings, Captain Leopoldo Manna, director of central operations for Rome’s harbourmaster, testified that based on his telephone conversations with Schettino while the shipwreck was underway, Manna told operations center personnel he felt Schettino wasn’t the “most suitable” person to speak to regarding the situation, and that he “seemed in shock”. A recording was played in court in which Manna uses a vulgar expression to tell another in the operations center that Schettino seemed stupid or “out of it”.
Concordia shipwreck trial to hear closing arguments
The tear-stained face of the five-year-old girl haunted Rob Elcombe’s dreams for months.
As panicked passengers waited to get on lifeboats to escape the sinking Costa Concordia, the girl’s distraught father debated returning to their cabin for medication.
Mr Elcombe and his wife Tracey Gunn were among those who pleaded with Italian William Arlotti to stay on deck with his daughter Dayana.
But those pleas were ignored and the pair disappeared into the crowds clutching hands. Days later, the WA couple learnt the pair had…
Costa Concordia girl still haunts Yahoo
A cargo ship abandoned by its crew with 359 Syrian refugees on board was towed ashore in Italy on Saturday in the second such rescue this week, prompting calls for stronger European Union action in the face of new tactics by human traffickers.
The Ezadeen, a Sierra-Leone-flagged vessel that had set sail from Turkey, docked in the southern Italian port of Corigliano Calabro. The passengers, including 62 minors, were in good condition and were being transferred to immigration centres and foster homes across Italy, coastguard and police officials said.
The decrepit vessel, licensed only to carry livestock, was strewn with steel containers, broken chairs, piles of garbage bags, empty gasoline tanks and scattered clothes and belongings.
On Wednesday, about 800 mostly Syrian migrants were rescued from another ‘ghost ship’, the Moldovan-flagged Blue Sky M. It too was abandoned at sea, highlighting a new ploy by traffickers who make money by promising refugees a transfer to Europe.
Read More Italy’s second ‘ghost ship’
An overturned cargo ship sank Sunday off the coast of Scotland as the search continued for the missing eight-member crew.
Seven Poles and one Filipino were on board the Cypriot-registered Cemfjord, a cargo ship carrying cement, which capsized around 15 miles (24 kilometres) from Wick on the northeast tip of Scotland.
Two helicopters, four lifeboats and five coastguard rescue teams are involved in the search for survivors.
Read More Eight missing as ship sinks off Scotland
Wearing gas masks against the smoke, Italian firefighters and investigators boarded the charred Norman Atlantic ferry on Friday, trying to find out what caused the deadly blaze and search for more possible bodies.
The badly damaged ferry was towed across the choppy Adriatic Sea for 17 hours before it docked Friday at the southern Italian port of Brindisi, where a second tug was tied to stabilize the wreck.
Firefighters board Italian Ferry
Hundreds of passengers and crew endured a second night of smoke, frigid temperatures and gale-force winds as they waited to be evacuated from a burning ferry adrift early Monday in rough seas between Italy and Albania. At least one person died and two were injured in the risky rescue operation.
The Italian coast guard said 201 of the 478 people on the ferry, sailing from the Greek port of Patras to Ancona in Italy, had been evacuated by early Monday. Most were airlifted by helicopter to other merchant vessels sailing nearby, though a few were flown to hospitals in southern Italy to be treated for hypothermia.
Read One Dead, Hundreds Stranded on Yahoo
Former captain Francesco Schettino raised his voice and blamed officers for being “at fault” in the January 2012 Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster during his trial on Friday.
“It was the fault of the bridge team,” Schettino said to Alessandra Guarini, lawyer for one of the passengers, during questioning.
Schettino is the only person on trial after Costa Cruises and a number of crew members and company staff reached plea bargains with prosecutors in the sinking that killed 32 people.
Read more: Concordia captain blames bridge team Life in Italy
A US company that helped salvage the Costa Concordia cruise liner is one of three marine companies creating more than 90 jobs in Ringaskiddy over the next five years.
Salvage firm Resolve Marine is locating its European headquarters in Cork Harbour, creating six jobs and will be joined by wave energy company Resolute Marine Energy which is creating 80 positions.
Read more: RINGASKIDDY TO GET 90 MARINE JOBS Evening Echo
Costa Concordia captain faces questions
A damning new video shown Wednesday at the trial of Francesco Schettino, captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner, appears to show him boarding a lifeboat with passengers still clearly on board the doomed ship.
It was presented to the court as Schettino took the stand for a second day.
Schettino’s lawyer, Domenico Pepe, asked the court not to admit the fuzzy videotape that appeared to show the captain getting onto a lifeboat from the ship’s bow wearing the same jacket and tie he had on at dinner before the ship crashed.
Read more: Costa Concordia captain faces questions
Francesco Schettino, captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship, took the stand for the first time Tuesday, combative and contradicting the testimony of not just his first captain but also what he has said in the past about the deadly shipwreck.
Schettino — who is charged with manslaughter, causing a maritime disaster and abandoning ship with passengers still on board — denies wrongdoing. He faces up to 23 years in prison if convicted.
He remained defiant even while painting a picture of confusion on board the ship as the disaster unfolded, pointing the finger at others for the chaotic evacuation of the ship’s passengers.
Read More: Costa Concordia captain combative, defiant as he testifies at trial