Italian court postpones hearing in crash of Costa Concordia to examine evidence

Washington Post
GROSETTO, Italy — An Italian court has postponed a preliminary hearing seeking to determine charges against those responsible for the Costa Concordia shipwreck that killed 32 crew and passengers. The court said Saturday it has adjourned the hearing

Read More Washington Post

Cruise Bookings on the Rise in 2012 Despite Costa Concordia Incident

TravelersToday
Despite the deadly crash of the Costa Concordia in January, cruise lines have seen an increase in bookings in 2012. The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) found that there has actually been an increase in cruise bookings this year. After polling travel agents, the group found that more than half of them reported an increase in cruise sales. Twenty-five percent of the travel agents said that the number of cruise booking was similar to last year.
Read More Travelers Today
Read More The Independent
Read More Royal Caribbeanblog
Read More Miami Herald

Captain From Costa Concordia Has Clear Conscience

Imassera News
July 17, 2012- Francesco Schettino, the captain from the Costa Concordia, which crashed six months ago says he has a clear conscience. The captain said he accepts his responsibility in the accident and said he was sorry but feels he is not the only one that should be blamed. Schettino said the disaster, which killed 32 people, was due to a chain of events that were unfortunate and might have involved some mechanical failure. The captain has been charged in the accident with multiple counts of manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and abandoning his ship.
Read More Imassera News
Read More abc.net.au

Costa Concordia captain opens up to NBC News

9NEWS.com
NEW YORK – Captain Francesco Schettino, the man at the helm just before the fatal Costa Concordiaaccident, sat down and spoke for himself for an hour-and-a-half exclusively to NBC News. He is accused of manslaughter, causing the wreck by coming too close to an island and then abandoning ship. He accepts some, but not all, responsibility for this enormous disaster which sent more than 4,000 people scrambling to get off the ship and killing 32 people, describing it to NBC’s Michelle Kosinki as “a really bad day in his life.”
Read More 9news
Read More UPI.com
Read More MJ
Read More The Australian
Read More Legal Examiner
Read More South FLorida Business Journal
Read More Cruise Critic

Costa Concordia tragedy: Cruise ship’s salvage a wreck for Italian island

89.3 KPCC
Last January, the captain of the Italian mega-cruise ship Costa Concordia committed an apparent act of maritime bravado a few yards from the shore of a Tuscan island. Thirty people were killed, and two are still missing. Six months after one of the biggest passenger shipwrecks in recent history, relatives of the dead attended a memorial service near the site of the disaster.

Read More KPCC
Read More Herald Sun
Read More The Telegraph
Read More KTVQ
Read More DNN
Read More Google
Read More Chicago Tribune

Concordia captain: ‘I am clear with my conscience’

msnbc.com
The Italian captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that capsized six months ago, killing 32 people, told TODAY he is sorry for the accident but feels not all of the blame should fall on him. In his first American television interview since the disaster occurred on Jan. 13, Francesco Schettino told NBC’s Michelle Kosinski that the disaster was a chain of unfortunate errors and possible mechanical failure. Schettino has been charged with multiple manslaughter, causing the accident and abandoning ship.
Read More Today News
Read More Miami Herald
Read More The Daily Beast
Read More Birmingham mail
Read More Yahoo
Read More Tampa Bay Biz Journal
Read More MSNBC
Read More CBS News

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, ,

Costa Concordia disaster spawns shipwreck tourism for Italian island

msnbc.com (blog)
GIGLIO, Italy – Six months after it capsized off Italy’s Giglio island, the Costa Concordia still lies on its side – a monument to what prosecutors say was reckless navigation. The 122000-ton, 1000 foot long cruise liner, which hit a rock and partially sank on January 13, claiming the lives of 32 people including two Americans, has become part of Giglio’s skyline. For locals it has become an eyesore that stops them enjoying the view of the Tuscan shore. But for tourists it represents a perfect photo opportunity for their summer albums.

Read More MSNBC
Read More Seattle Times
Read More Washington Post

Costa Concordia survivors describe ‘Goliath’ fight against cruise industry

msnbc.com (blog)
Shortly after the Costa Concordia ran aground off the coast of Italy, leaving at least 32 people dead, Costa Cruises began offering settlements to the survivors of the accident. Nancy and Mario Lofaro of New Rochelle, N.Y., said they were offered $14,500 by the cruise line following the Jan. 13 incident.

Read More MSNBC
Read More CBS News
Read More Trade Only
Read More Marine Link
Read MoreMmegionline
Read More Google
Read More Euronews
Read More The Australian
Read More BBC
Read More ITN
Read More CNNPressroom

Captain of shipwrecked Costa Concordia says he was ‘distracted’

Fox News
The captain of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, which ran aground killing 32 people, said he was distracted shortly before the collision. In a TV interview with Italy’s Canale 5, Francesco Schettino described the accident and said he was distracted by a phone conversation just before the ship crashed into a reef off an Italian island and capsized.

Read More Fox News
Read More NY Daily News
Read More Travel Daily News
Read More National Post
Read More News.com. au
Read More Time.com

Concordia captain was distracted by phone call

USA TODAY
Francesco Schettino said he was distracted by a phone conversation shortly before the cruise liner crashed into a reef off an Italian island and capsized, killing 32 people.Francesco Schettino described the collision to private Italian TV channel Canale 5 as a “banal accident” in which “destiny” played a role.

Read More USA Today
Read More CBS News
Read More MSNBC
Read More businessweek