A sea cruise is supposed to be fun, relaxing and take your mind off all the stresses of the world. It is after all a vacation.
A cruise ship sailed out of the Mediterranean Sea according to the Italian public health authorities on Feb. 27 with a crew of forty from the Costa Pacifica in Civitavecchia, Italy. The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) released a report called a Rapid Risk Assessment on March 6 stating the members of the crew were all tested and their urine samples all showed measles were present.
Measles outbreak confirmed: Cruise crew infected by virus Examiner
Dutch technical consultancy company, Fugro, is among the shortlisted for this year’s Ground Engineering (GE) Awards, with a “record number of shortlisted nominations” in three categories.
The company has been nominated for the Ground Investigation Specialist of the Year award, and has two nominations for the Technical Excellence award – one for its powerful T120 pile-top drill and the other for its drilling activity in the Costa Concordia salvage operation.
“This is a record number of shortlisted nominations for us,” said Tony Hodgson, global business development manager, Fugro Renewable Services.
‘Record’ nominations for Fugro MJ
Italian captain Francesco Schettino lashed out at a media “frenzy” last week after his first return to the Costa Concordia, saying people who accused him of abandoning the ship had not understood “a bloody thing”.
“There is a frenzy that is making me nervous,” Schettino told reporters in the port on Giglio Island off Tuscany where his luxury cruise liner crashed on January 13, 2012 in a tragedy that claimed 32 lives.
“You have to respect civility. I don’t have anything against you but if you provoke me,” the infamous captain said in increasingly angry remarks accompanied by gesticulation and nervous pacing on the dockside.
Asked why he had left the ship before all the passengers had been evacuated, Schettino shouted: “You’re still talking about abandoning the ship! It means you haven’t understood a bloody thing!”
Schettino hits back iafrica
Captain Francesco Schettino stepped aboard the Costa Concordia Thursday for the first time since it capsized off Italy’s coast with him at the controls more than two years ago.
When the vast cruise ship ground into the rocky shore of the Italian island of Giglio on Jan. 13, 2012, 32 people lost their lives. The Costa Concordia has been hoisted upright and secured by salvage workers and is now sitting solidly on two underwater outcrops of rock off the coastline.
Schettino arrived on Giglio aboard a ferry from Italy’s mainland Tuesday night, after the Tuscan court agreed to let him go back onto the ship. The court in Grosseto, where Schettino is facing charges of manslaughter, abandoning ship and causing a shipwreck, authorized an inspection on the Costa Concordia to be carried out by a group of experts and attended by the former captain.
Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino boards grounded off Italy coast for 1st time since disaster CBS News
Francesco Schettino, the captain of the cruise liner that ran aground off an Italian island two years ago, has been allowed to go back on board by a Tuscan court.
Judges in the city of Grosseto agreed to a request by lawyers for Schettino, who demanded that he takes part in a survey of the Costa Concordia later this week.
The request came as a team of lawyers and experts were due to inspect an emergency power unit on the 11th deck of the liner, which allegedly did not work on the night of the shipwreck in January 2012.
Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino to go Back on Board International Business Times
Award- winning local haulage firm Grampian Continental has recently completed a six-figure contract with stricken cruise vessel, the Costa Concordia.
The Kinellar based firm has been working as part of the salvage project of the Costa Concordia, which sank in January 2012 off the coast of Tuscany, Italy.
The haulage firm, which was launched in 2009 by directors Gavin Murray, Neil Bremner and Michael Lacey, utilised its bases in Europe to help transport the specialist equipment that was used to raise the vessel out of the water, at the start of this year.
Kinellar firm assists salvage Publication
Costa has been through the mill since the terrible incident with the Costa Concordia. Cruise bookings fell to worryingly levels, which forced the company to issue some never before seen price reductions, some of them felt as though the company was giving them away.
However, they have since bounced back, not to what they once were, but the recovery was always going to be a long process. We know that what happened was a terrible thing, but people still fly on planes even after hearing of a plane crash, and for many people this is the same when hearing that a ship has sunk.
Costa Cruises push for new jobs Cruise ship news
The cruise industry has played down the impact of recent negative publicity caused by a spate of gastrointestinal illness at sea and the lingering spectre of the Costa Concordia.
Just three weeks ago, Royal Caribbean’s Explorer of the Seas made headlines as more than 600 of its passengers and crew were struck by norovirus during a 10-day Caribbean cruise.
Within days, that incident was followed by another aboard Princess Cruises’ Caribbean Princess, with more than 160 of its 3,104 passengers falling ill.
Both episodes made headlines, with comparisons being drawn with last year’s infamous “poop cruise” aboard Carnival Triumph.
Australian cruise industry resists wave of bad presse Travel Weekly
On the night of the Costa Concordia tragedy, it was first mate Roberto Bosio who gave the order to abandon ship. As Bosio told the court in the trial of the Captain Francesco Schettino, Schettino refused to.
Instead the ship’s captain ignored numerous requests from officers to give that order and continued talking on a phone to the crisis center of the ship’s owner, Costa Crociere, acting as if he was in denial of the ship’s perilous condition.
Bosio, who has been credited by many with saving lives while going above Schettino’s head and giving the order, told the court that “since he (Schettino) wasn’t giving any input, the other officials turned to me for a decision.”
Trial: Costa Concordia’s captain delayed so first mate took over Digital Journal
Despite its popular image of vastness the Titanic was no bigger than a modern North Sea ferry.
The doomed liner was the largest ship afloat when it was completed in 1912, but a gas processing vessel to be finished in 2016 will be six and a half times its size and some giant cruise ships are almost five times bigger than Titanic.
Paul Stott, a senior lecturer at Newcastle University’s School of Marine Science and Technology, raised the issue because it has a relevance to another, more recent disaster, the loss of the Costa Concordia off the coast of Italy two years ago.
Reports of the ongoing salvage operation frequently refer to the vessel being around twice as large of the Titanic, he said in the Mariner’s Mirror journal.
Titanic ‘smaller than people think’ Belfast Telegraph
Spanish diver killed in Costa Concordia salvage operation Olive Press