Second Carnival Cruise Ship Having Trouble at Sea

ABC News ‎-
Another day, another Carnival cruise ship is having issues. The company announced late Thursday night that the Carnival Legend, currently off the coast of Honduras, is unable to sail at its optimal speed because of a technical problem, forcing the ship to cut short passengers’ vacation. The Carnival Legend has canceled its visit to Grand Cayman today so it can immediately return to its homeport in Tampa Bay, Fla., according to a news release. The Legend is on the last leg of a seven-day Caribbean cruise that departed Tampa March 10.

Second Carnival Cruise Ship Having Trouble at Sea ABC News
Carnival cruise line in more troubled waters CNN
Another problem cruise: Second Carnival ship in less than a week experiences trouble at sea Fox News
Another Carnival Cruise ship malfunctions at sea, the second time this week. Passengers on The Carnival Legend won’t be able to stop at the Grand Cayman Islands, due to technical issues with the ship’s thrusters. The beleaguered cruise company’s Carnival Dream was also plagued with troubles earlier this week. NY Daily News
Carnival nightmare: Another cruise ship reports trouble at sea WGN tv
Carnival Legend Cruise Ship Has Mechanical Problem Near Florida Huffington Post
More Trouble At Sea For Carnival Cruise Lines CBS Miami

New Carnival nightmare: Passengers being flown home from troubled cruise

Another Carnival cruise liner is experiencing problems with its propulsion system amid reports of power outages and overflowing toilets while docked in the Caribbean, one month after a fire crippled the Carnival Triumph in the Gulf of Mexico. A U.S. Coast Guard spokeswoman in Miami told the Associated Press Thursday that Carnival Dream’s captain reported possible trouble with the ship’s propulsion system. Petty Officer Sabrina Laberdesque said the ship has sewage and power and officials are working to correct the problems. She says the Coast Guard is not involved because the ship is moored.

New Carnival nightmare: Passengers being flown home from troubled cruise Fox News

Costa Concordia wreck may be moved to nearest port for breaking

Costa Concordia wreck may be moved to nearest port for breaking. Italy has authorized Costa Concordia to be moved to the nearby mainland port of Piombino for breaking after its refloating at Giglio, the Associated Press reports from Rome. Piombino is a small town in Tuscany’s Livorno province that has served as a staging headquarters for some of the salvage work.

Costa Concordia wreck may be moved to nearest port for breaking Seatrade Insider

Costa Concordia & Maritime Error Management

MarineLink
Costa Concordia: An opportunity for advancing human factor awareness? Will the casualty advance desirable critical thinking and cognitive awareness or merely trigger shortfall RRPP? A maritime casualty with everything a novelist could hope for – a huge state-of-the-art modern passenger vessel strikes a rock and eventually grounds on the foreshore of a bucolic island town, thousands of lives are imperiled, likely chaos on the bridge, a captain – excoriated by officialdom – who contends he “fell” into one of the earliest departing lifeboats and now is suing to be re-hired by his former cruise line employer, divine intervention returning the vessel to shore according to the prosecutor, and – even – a mysterious blond and a Friday the 13th sailing and disaster date short by only three months from the 100th “anniversary” of R.M.S. Titanic striking an iceberg and sinking with tragic loss of life.
Costa Concordia & Maritime Error Management Marine Link

Prosecutors release dossier detailing how Costa Concordia victims died

The Guardian
The youngest victim of the Costa Concordia sinking died shortly after being told there was no space for her or her father in a lifeboat, Italian prosecutors have said. Five-year-old Dayana Arlotti and her father Williams Arlotti were two of the 32 people who lost their lives when the cruise liner crashed into rocks off the island of Giglio in January last year.

Prosecutors release dossier detailing how Costa Concordia victims died The Guardian
Revealed: Five-year-old girl and her father drowned because they were turned away from a lifeboat on the Costa Concordia Mail Online
Costa Concordia passengers’ harrowing last moments revealed Express
Costa Concordia Victims ‘Doomed by Titanic-Style Lifeboat Chaos’ IBTimes

Italy selects Tuscan port of Piombino as site for Costa Concordia cruise ship

Edmonton Journal
Italy’s caretaker government has authorized authorities to move the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship to the nearest port, Piombino in Tuscany, to be disassembled. Tuscan President Enrico Rossi welcomed Friday’s decision, saying Piombino is the most economical and environmentally sound choice because of its proximity.

Italy selects Tuscan port of Piombino as site for Costa Concordia cruise ship’s disassembly Edmonton Journal

Prosecutors release dossier detailing how Costa Concordia victims died

Captain of cruise liner that crashed into rocks could face charges of manslaughter and abandoning ship.
The youngest victim of the Costa Concordia sinking died shortly after being told there was no space for her or her father in a lifeboat, Italian prosecutors have said.

Prosecutors release dossier detailing how Costa Concordia victims died Guardian

Costa Concordia reveals its darkest secrets

Giglio, Italy (CNN) — The shock of seeing the forlorn hulk of the Costa Concordia hasn’t been dimmed by time. I’m here once again on the pristine little Italian island of Giglio, made famous not for its beauty, but for the tragedy on its shores.

Costa Concordia reveals its darkest secrets CNN
Costa Concordia survivor relives his dramatic escape CNN
Costa Concordia Final Moments Detailed In New Court Papers Huffington Post
Costa Concordia victims’ final moments revealed Sydney Morning Herald
Girl, 5, turned away from lifeboat in Costa Concordia tragedy travol aol

Costa Concordia Victims’ Last Moments Revealed

Sky News
More than 4,000 passengers and crew were onboard the doomed Costa Concordia when it struck rocks after Schettino allegedly changed course in order to carry out a sail-by salute of a Mediterranean island to impress holidaymakers.

Details of the final moments of the 32 people who died in the Costa Concordia cruise ship tragedy have emerged in a prosecution report.

The 60-page document makes up the official request to have captain Francesco Schettino – who was in charge at the time – sent for trial.
Costa Concordia Victims’ Last Moments Revealed News Sky Com

Pope Emeritus Benedict compared to Costa Concordia captain An Italian parish priest has caused uproar after burning a photograph of Benedict XVI during a church service and likening him to the disgraced captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship captain. The Telegraph

Tragedy and heroism as final moments of Costa Concordia victims are revealed. A five-year-old girl was unable to find a place on a lifeboat on the Costa Concordia, it has emerged, as compelling details of the nightmarish last moments of the victims were laid bare in a 60-page dossier deposited in an Italian court.

Costa Concordia captain speaks out – …– The Costa Concordia sits where she fell more than a year ago after hitting a rock off the coast of Italy. 7NEWS Boston News WHDH

Costa Concordia victims have jurisdiction victory in Florida

Breaking Travel News (press release)
Survivors of the Costa Concordia grounding off the Tuscan coast of Italy in January 2012 won a huge victory in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida last week, when the District Judge ordered the claims of 104 survivors 
Survivors of the Costa Concordia grounding off the Tuscan coast of Italy in January 2012 won a huge victory in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida last week, when the District Judge ordered the claims of 104 survivors remanded to the Florida State Court for continued litigation. The court’s February 15, 2013 order concerned two cases, Denise Abeid-Saba, et al., v. Carnival Corporation et al., and Scimone v. Carnival Corp., together representing the claims of 104 plaintiffs injured when the huge ship capsized after grounding on rocks just off the shore of Isola del Giglio.

Both cases were initially commenced in the Florida State Court against Carnival Corp. as the parent corporation as well as ship designers and the architect. The cases were removed to the Federal Court by the defendants under the CLASS ACTION FAIRNESS ACT OF 2005 (“CAFA”), which allows for the removal of so-called “mass actions” to the federal courts. As the District Court noted, however, the CAFA expressly excludes those cases that are consolidated by a defense motion to achieve the CAFA minimum of 100 plaintiffs. Since neither the Abeid-Saba action nor the Scimone action contained 100 plaintiffs, the Court held that neither was amenable to removal under CAFA. Defendants also plead “federal question” jurisdiction as a second basis for removal; the District Court rejected this argument as well, holding that the interests in the litigation of the Italian government, which took no position in the litigation and neither owned nor operated the doomed vessel, were “speculative at best.” A copy of the decision can be obtained by contacting the law firms.
Costa Concordia victims have jurisdiction victory in Florida Breaking Travel News