Since the Costa Concordia disaster in early 2012 cruise ship safety has become a major topic in public debate. When one of these gigantic vessels gets into trouble, the number of people who need to be evacuated is equivalent to the population of an entire village. If worse comes to worst, evacuation has to be accomplished at night, in bad weather, and as rapidly as possible.
The 176-page official report on the Costa Concordia grounding has been released this week by the Italian Maritime authorities.
The report reveals that the former Captain of the Costa Concordia, Captain Francesco Schettino, was in command of the vessel in January 2012 when it hit rocks off the coast of Tuscany, killing 32 people, with a catalogue of errors by the captain documented in the report .
Captain Coward fled from sinking cruise liner Costa Concordia leaving 300 passengers and crew to their fate.
Francesco Schettino was at the command of cruise liner in January 2012
Catalogue of errors by captain documented in official 176-page dossier
He faces 20 years in prison for his part in the maritime disaster
Three hundred passengers and crew were still on the sinking cruise ship Concordia as its captain made his escape, the official report on the tragedy has revealed. Among other damning revelations in the 176-page dossier is that the coastguard were not alerted to the incident until they were phoned by a passenger’s mother. Half an hour after the collision, Captain Francesco Schettino had yet to put out a distress signal.
Human error has been blamed for the Costa Concordia disaster, according to an official report into the tragedy. The Italian ministry of infrastructure and transport reportedly concludes that “the human element is the root cause in the Costa Concordia casualty,” both in the first phase, “the unconventional action which caused the contact with the rocks,” and then the general emergency management thereafter.
A fire that broke out aboard a Royal Caribbean ship Monday did enough damage that the rest of the cruise was canceled and the company said the more than 2,200 passengers will be flown from the Bahamas back to Baltimore where the trip began.
The fire that began at 2:50 a.m. Monday was extinguished about two hours later with no injuries reported. A cause wasn’t immediately known. The Grandeur of the Seas, which left Baltimore on Friday, never lost power and was able to sail into port in Freeport, Bahamas, Monday afternoon. It had been planned to be a seven-night cruise.
YOU could say he’s a tradie in a scuba suit. Joshua Thomas from Ballina is the only Australian diver working as part of the international team of professional divers attempting to salvage the Costa Concordia cruise ship off the coast of Italy. The now infamous ship struck a rock in the Tyrrhenian Sea just off the eastern shore of Isola del Giglio, west of Italy. It grounded just north of the village of Giglio Porto, in shallow water with most of its starboard (right) side under water.
The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that hit rocks and sank off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people, will go on trial in July.
Francesco Schettino faces criminal charges including multiple manslaughter and abandoning ship before all the 4,229 passengers had been evacuated.
The trial will open July 9 in Grosseto, the city nearest to the site of the wreck. Schettino is accused of recklessly steering the ship too close to the Giglio island
A judge in Italy has ordered the captain of the Costa Concordia to stand trial in the shipwreck of the cruise liner, which struck a reef off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people.Francesco Schettino will be the only defendant in the trial, which begins on July 9 in the Tuscan town of Grosseto. The indictment was announced on Wednesday. Read More
Italian cruise company Costa Crociere board members are under investigation, lawyers for passengers on the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship said. Attorneys for Justice for Concordia said Saturday the investigation involves allegations of collusion in the 2012 grounding of the ship, which killed 32 people. Prosecutors confirmed the investigation but told Italy’s ANSA news agency the probe was “an obligatory move.”