Towing Away The Costa Concordia Cruise Ship

Todd Busch, who is overseeing the removal of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, explains to host Dick Gordon how the vessel is expected to be towed away by December this year. Also in this show: Benji Smith and Emily Lau were celebrating their honeymoon aboard the Costa Concordia cruise ship when it started sinking…

Towing Away The Costa Concordia Cruise Ship thestory
New Costa Concordia Updates Newscom Focalpoint

Italian prosecutors reject Concordia captain’s plea bargain

TThe closed door hearing regarding the 2012 grounding of the Costa Concordia continues in Italy, with prosecutors wanting Captain Francesco Schettino to stand trial for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the ship before all 4,200 passengers and crew had been evacuated.Italian prosecutors have also rejected a plea bargain bid by the captain of the Costa Concordia that ran aground off Italy last year, killing 32 people, according to an Associated Press report.

Italian prosecutors reject Concordia captain’s plea bargain bid Travel blackboard

Concordia captain fails in deal bid over crash

The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people, has failed in his bid for a plea bargain. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all passengers and crew were evacuated.His lawyer, Francesco Pepe, said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at trial, but when the other defendants all sought plea bargains, his defence team sought one, too. Mr Pepe said prosecutors have agreed to plea bargains for all except Schettino. That means Schettino might be the only defendant if a trial is ordered.

Concordia captain fails in deal bid over crashHerald.ie
Drumming up cruise interest The Province
‘Manners police’ to keep Venice tourists in line, effort is sponsored by Costa Crocieregazzettadelsud
Costa Concordia hearing re-openseuronews

Costa Concordia captain denied plea bargain in deadly shipwreck

GROSSETO, Italy – Italian prosecutors on Tuesday rejected a plea bargain bid by the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that ran aground off Italy last year, killing 32 people, defense lawyers said. Capt. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all 4,200 passengers and crew were evacuated.Defense lawyer Francesco Pepe said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at a trial but when the five other defendants in the shipwreck off the Tuscan coast all sought plea bargains during a closed-door hearing Tuesday, his defense team decided to change strategy.

Costa Concordia captain denied plea bargain in deadly shipwreck Fox News
Costa Concordia captain back in court Reuters
Costa Concordia hearing re-opens Euronews
Francesco Schettino’s offer to plead guilty in return for a sentence of three years and four months is rejected by prosecutors. Skynews
Costa Concordia suspects want plea bargains Newstalk JB
Costa Concordia captain back in court Brisbane Times
Costa Concordia Captain Schettino sought a plea bargain, rejectedDigitalJournal.com
Plea deal for Costa Concordia captain rejected Telegraph

Costa Concordia captain back in court

The captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia ship, Francesco Schettino, enters an Italian court for a pre-trial hearing. The court will decide who should stand trial and under which charges for the Costa Concordia crash, which killed 32 people in January 2012. The hearing is taking place in a theatre in the centre of the Tuscan town of Grosseto to allow a large number of people to attend the proceedings if warranted. Prosecutors are seeking to have Schettino tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship. They also want to send five other Concordia officers to trial over the accident. The lawyer representing Francesco Schettino said the captain was feeling depressed. He is a man like everybody else, he is only human, he said. His legal team is set to request a simulation of the wreck using a twin ship or if that’s not possible, a computer simulation. But any additional tests or simulations would further prolong the start of the trial …

Costa Concordia captain back in court
“Company goes free” critique on Costa could be levelled at superyacht sector”

Environmental work continues at Costa Concordia site

While the human tragedy of the sinking of the Costa Concordia cruise ship off the coast of Italy early last year may have faded from the headlines, work is still underway to prevent the accident becoming an environmental disaster. Specialist drilling and grouting work is being carried out in the protected waters to create the foundations for the platform that will be used to right the 114,000t ship before it is towed away to be scrapped.

Environmental work continues at Costa Concordia site New Civil Engineer

10 things your cruise line won’t tell you Navigating a sea of potential sickness, danger and debt

Edison at WSJ. 1. “Our ships might sink, but we won’t.“

It’s been a tough couple of seasons for the cruise ship industry. First, the Costa Concordia, a 3,800-passenger ship operated by a unit of Carnival Corp., ran aground off the coast of Italy in January 2012. Thirty-two people were killed, while images of the abandoned ship, lying incongruously on its side. beside a picturesque beach town, flashed around the world.

10 things cruise lines won’t tell you Market Watch
Costa Concordia You tube

Two cruise ship passengers missing after falling overboard off Australia

Authorities were conducting an air and marine search Thursday off Australia’s east coast for two cruise passengers who were believed to have fallen overboard the night before. The couple, Australian citizens from New South Wales state, were discovered missing Thursday morning after the Carnival Spirit docked at Sydney’s Circular Quay, at the end of a 10-day journey, said New South Wales Police Superintendent Mark Hutchings. He said surveillance camera footage showed that the couple — a 30-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman whose names have not been released — fell from the ship’s mid deck Wednesday night, when the ship was about 120 kilometers (65 nautical miles) off the coast of Forster, a city 300 kilometers (185 miles) north of Sydney.

Two cruise ship passengers missing after falling overboard off Australia mercurynews
Carnival Cruise Passengers Fall Overboard Off Australia Coast Huffington Post
Cruise passengers fall overboard off Australia BBC
Two passengers vanish from Carnival cruise ship NBC
Huge rescue mission launched AOL Travel

Carnival passengers overboard: 2 cruise ship passengers fall off Spirit
Examiner

Six killed, 3 missing after ship hits tower in Italian port

Worst maritime disaster in Italy since Costa Concordia.
* 50 metre-high control tower collapses into water.
* Investigation focusing on ship’s engine, steering mechanism

GENOA, May 8 – Six people were killed and three are missing after a container ship crashed into a control tower in the northern Italian port of Genoa, rescuers said on Wednesday. The tower, which was more than 50 metres (160 feet) high and looked much like the ones common at airports, collapsed into the water late on Tuesday after being struck by the prow of the vessel, the Jolly Nero. 13 people were in the tower when it was struck. Divers from the fire department joined the search for bodies.

Six killed, 3 missing after ship hits tower in Italian port

Found Ocean Awarded Contract

Scottish-based FoundOcean has been working at the Costa Concordia wreck removal site since October 2012, having been awarded the scope of work to design, manufacture, and grout two and a half thousand fabric formworks, which will support the ship’s hull during the up-righting phase of the salvage operation. FoundOcean will also carry out the foundation grouting of six subsea support platforms, which are critical in the parbuckling (or rolling) of the Costa Concordia from its current beached position.

FoundOcean Awarded Contract to Help Raise the Costa Concordia The Maritime Executive