Eight bodies, including that of a young girl, were located on Wednesday by divers searching the submerged section of the Costa Concordia cruise ship.The discovery brings to 25 the number of confirmed dead among the 4,200 passengers and crew of the ship, which struck rocks on the Italian island of Giglio on 13 January.The location of the eight bodies, which have not yet been identified, leaves seven people still unaccounted for.
While the Costa Concordia remains on her side off the Tuscan island of Giglio, the salvage master, South African Mr Nick Sloane, who works for US-owned company Titan Salvage says the vessel has compressed about 3m since coming to rest on the rocks 19 months ago. Mr Nick Sloane, says everything is on track for the Concordia to be righted in September, adding the excitement was building around the site of wreck off the Tuscan island of Giglio, as his salvage team prepared to right the ship by using rope slings. Four of the six large platforms to be used for the ship to be rolled on to had been built and the other two should be ready by the end of next month.
South African heads up Concordia salvage Travel Blackboard
Lancashire still buoyant after Costa Concordia bill The Telegraph
Carnival Sunshine comes ‘dangerously close’ to shore.
The head of Italy’s Senate committee on art and culture called on the government to limit cruise ships passing through the Venice lagoon after an alleged close call over the weekend reignited local fury and fears of a disaster like the Costa Concordia crash off Tuscany last year that killed 32 people. “After the tragedy of the Concordia, there is still a safety risk tied to the passage of large ships. Especially in Venice, there is an intolerable risk percentage. The government must apply (changes) immediately,” said Andrea Marcucci. On Saturday witnesses reported that the 100,000-ton Carnival Sunshine passed within 20 meters of the Riva Dei Sette Martiri waterfront, not far from St Mark’s Square.
Senators call for action after cruise Gazetta del Sud
Call for action after cruise ship scare in Venice UPI
UNESCO asks Italy to limit access of cruise ships to Venice after Costa Concordia disaster Daily Mail
Are Cruise Ships Damaging Venice? The Daily Beast
The crisis manager of the Costa Concrodia ship which crashed killing 32 people, has been fined over 21,000 Euros for failing to alert the port authorities. A court in Grosseto, says vice president of the operating company Costa Crociere, Manfred U, (55), from Enns, was obliged as crisis manager to inform the harbour master in Civitavecchia that the crew needed assistance. As he failed, he has been ordered to a pay 21,396 penalty.
Costa-crash crisis manager fined for not alerting port Austrian Times
On July 20, 2013, five crew members of the Costa Concordia cruise ship were convicted of manslaughter for their role in the shipwreck in January 2012, which resulted in the deaths of 32 people. The captain of the ship, Francesco Schettino, the only remaining defendant, is being tried separately. The owner of the cruise ship, Costa Crociere SpA/Carnival Corporation paid a fine of one million euro to avoid any criminal liability claim Ronai & Ronai. Holly Ostrov Ronai, Esq. stated that “Costa Crociere/Carnival Corp. did not properly train their employees to safely and effectively evacuate the passengers on their ship. The evacuation of the entire ship off Giglio Island clearly should not have taken over six hours to complete. Although the five employees and Captain Schettino caused the allision itself, Costa Crociere/Carnival Corp. should be held responsible for the deaths of the 32 people and injuries to others.”
Costa Concordia: Lawyers Maintain Owners Criminally Liable Marine Link
5 convicted for Costa Concordia shipwreck redding.com
Judge dismisses three cases, fines others in Costa Concordia gazzetta del sud
Judge dismisses three cases, fines others in Costa Concordia Sky News
Five Sentenced for Italy’s Costa Concordia Shipwreck wall street journal
London-listed (re)insurer Lancashire reported a smaller-than-expected 4 percent drop in its second quarter profit, as generally subdued claims allowed it to comfortably absorb a sharp increase in the cost of the Costa Concordia wreck, as well as losses on its investment portfolio. Lancashire made a pretax profit of $58.3mn in the three months to 30 June, the company said today (25 July), down from $60.6mn in the same period last year, but well ahead of the $39.1mn expected by analysts.
Lancashire beats forecasts despite bigger Costa hit Insurance insider
For more than a year, the wreck of the Costa Concordia has been a tragic fixture on Tuscany’s Isola del Giglio coastline. The crumbling remains have been there for so long it has subsequently been snapped by Google Maps. Check out these amazing images to pay your respects.The Costa Concordia cruise ship ran aground in January 2012 after hitting a reef and capsizing. The accident caused the deaths of 32 passengers and left the cruise ship an unsalvageable wreck. There are plans for the ship to be towed away later this year, but until then you can view the remains on Google Maps
- Crew members and company official given sentences between 18 and 34 months
- Unlikely they will actually serve time in jail after accepting plea bargains
- Lawyers for the victims say ‘lenient’ sentences were ‘shameful’
Five people were sentenced for their part in the Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster that killed 32 – but look likely to avoid jail. The four crew members and a company official received jail sentences of between 18 and 34 months after they pleaded guilty to multiple manslaughter, negligence and shipwreck.However, judicial sources said none of the five is likely to be jailed as the sentences of under two years were suspended and the longer ones may be appealed or replaced with community service.
Five Costa Concordia staff found guilty over deaths of 32 passengers and crew on shipwrecked cruise liner Daily Mail
Costa Concordia staff found guilty over sinking of cruise liner The Independent
Costa Concordia disaster: 5 people convicted of multiple manslaughter charges ABC
Five jailed over deadly wreck Scotsman
5 Costa Concordia Employees Convicted of Manslaughter and Negligence
Read more: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/07/20/5-costa-concordia-employees-convicted-manslaughter-and-negligence-2012-shipwreck#ixzz2ZjWaeHP9 Fox Insider
Four Costa Concordia crew members and a company official have been sentenced to jail in Italy for their part in the 2012 cruise ship disaster that killed 32 people. The five received sentences of between 18 and 34 months for multiple manslaughter, negligence and shipwreck, in exchange for pleading guilty. None of the five are likely to be jailed as the sentences of under two years were suspended and the longer ones may be replaced with house arrest or community service, lawyers said. “I think that the sentences are not enough,” said Robert Fehrer, 28, whose brother Szandor, a violinist, died in the disaster.
Costa Concordia disaster: five jailed, Captain Schettino still on trial ABC News
Costa Concordia employees found guilty of manslaughter in cruise ship disaster National Post
Costa Concordia crew members, company official get jail terms Toronto Star
Costa Concordia: Five Guilty Of Manslaughter Sky News
The captain of the capsized Costa Concordia on Thursday asked the judge at his manslaughter trial to order tests on the cruise liner’s wreckage to determine why electrical and other systems failed after the vessel struck a reef off an Italian island in 2012, killing 32 people.
The outcome of the request from Francesco Schettino, the sole defendant, won’t be known until at least September. After only two full days of hearings, Judge Giovanni Puliatti on Thursday adjourned the trial until Sept. 23 for summer’s break.
Costa Concordia captain asks judge for tests on shipwreck CTV
Costa Concordia Captain Offers Plea Deal Afloat
Costa Concordia Trial Adjourned Through Septembercruise critic
Captain wants tests on Costa Concordia The Australian
Don’t blame only me, says Costa Concordia disaster captain Express
Prosecutors demand CCTV footage from doomed Costa Concordia Daily Mail
Concordia captain facing 20 years as plea likely to fail Independent.ie
Concordia Captain’s Lawyers Seek New Expert Survey of Ship Hulk Malaysia Sun