Crying repeatedly, the assistant to the cruise director on the doomed Costa Concordia liner testified Monday she was ordered to tell panicking passengers to go back to their cabins.
Jacqueline Elisabeth Abad Quine, a Peruvian, recounted events right after the ship hit rocks off the Tuscan island of Giglio on January 13th, 2012. Thirty-two passengers of the more than 4,000 on board the Costa Concordia were killed. Quine said she was ordered to tell passengers there had been a blackout and that everything was under control, but the passengers told her they were nervous and wanted to board the lifeboats.
“Passengers screamed and pushed because they wanted to leave the ship but we did not have orders to allow them to get into the lifeboats”, she said.
Costa Concordia passengers allegedly ordered back to cabins post-crash CBS NEWS
Novacavi reported a second supply of marine cables used in the Costa Concordia shipwrecking salvage operation off the shore of the island of Giglio, Italy.
As the first delivery successfully performed during the parbuckling phase, Novacavi was called in again to provide high tech custom tailored cables for the positioning and survey systems in use in the progressing operation of Concordia wreck removal.
Novacavi Cables Used for Concordia Wreck Marine Link
‘Everything is under control’: Costa Concordia crew member reveals how she was ordered to tell passengers to return to their cabins moments before the ship sank
- Jacqueline Abad Quine broke down during trial of Francesco Schettino
- Captain is accused of multiple manslaughter and abandoning ship
- Italian disaster in January 2012 killed 32 people after the ship hit a reef
- Schettino was dubbed ‘Captain Coward’ for refusing to get back on board
A Costa Concordia crew member has told a court how she was ordered to tell passengers ‘everything was under control’ after the packed luxury cruise ship struck rocks and was fatally holed. Jacqueline Abad Quine was a deputy cabin services director and was on duty the night the ship hit the reefs after its captain Francesco Schettino altered course to carry out a ‘sail-by salute’ of an island. She was later seen in video footage trying to reassure passengers who had gathered on decks close to lifeboat stations and described to the hearing the scene of panic and confusion in the minutes following the incident.
Mrs Quine said: ‘I was ordered to tell the passengers everything was under control. I was told to say that there was a blackout and everyone should return to their cabins and that things would be returning to normal as quickly as possible.
‘But people were agitated and worried – they wanted to get onto the lifeboats but the order didn’t come. When the passengers got to the muster stations I was told to try and calm them down, to reassure them.’
More than 4,000 passengers and crew were onboard the Costa Concordia when it struck an underwater reef off the coast of the Italian island of Giglio.
Costa Concordia: Everything is Under Control Mail Online
n January 2012, a passenger cruise liner did something unheard of in modern day: it hit rock bed and sank just off the western coast of Italy. Thirty-two people died. One year and eight months after she sank, salvagers attempted a massive operation to raise the Costa Concordia from her watery grave.
The Raising of the Costa Concordia Publication
The captain of the Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, waited an hour before ordering people to abandon the doomed ship, a trial has heard.
A radio operator on board the ship told an Italian court how Mr Schettino delayed rescue calls after the cruise liner hit rocks off the coast of Giglio in January this year, resulting in the deaths of 32 people.
Flavio Spadavecchia described how he “waited and waited” for Schettino to give the order so that he could alert coastguards but it never came, holding up the rescue operation as a result.
“Schettino never gave me the order. The pan pan message was never sent because Schettino never gave me the order. I asked if I should send it but Schettino said no. I asked at least once, maybe twice.’
Costa Concordia captain ‘delayed’ rescue call Yachting & Boating World
Second-in-command on Costa Concordia feared captain suicidal
The Costa Concordia shipwreck is one of several reasons why Copenhagen Malmo Port (CMP) expects its first ever decline in the number of cruise guests and calls. Other Baltic Sea ports are also expected to be hit.
After many years with double-digit growth rates the Baltic Sea cruise market looks set to take a breather in 2014. The cruise business accounts for approx. 13-15 percent of Copenhagen Malmo Port’s revenue, and according to COO Cruise and Ferries, Arnt Møller Pedersen, the decline will not be insignificant.
“We predict a 5-10 percent decline in guests and calls in 2014,” he tells ShippingWatch.
This year, 356 cruise ships called in CMP, and a total of 840,000 vacationing guests have visited Copenhagen and Malmo, but next year the entire Baltic Sea region will feel the effect of several factors weighing down the combined cruise market.
Costa Concordia accident hits Baltic Sea ports Shipping Watch
The trial of Francesco Schettino, the captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia is still ongoing and is unlikely to reach a verdict anytime soon. This was never going to be a fast trial because of the complexities of the case, and the fact that Schettino’s lawyers have done a good job in presenting their case.
The last news update in the Costa Concordia captain’s trial was a few days ago, which detailed how there was evidence that Schettino might contemplate committing suicide as he took in the magnitude of what had happened on that fateful night.
However, what we are concerned about is how the captain was sat on a rocky shelf talking to someone on his mobile phone instead of helping with the rescue effort – who was he on the phone to?
Costa Concordia news update on captain trial Cruise Ship News
Costa Cruises’ future flagship, the US$739-million COSTA DIADEMA, was floated out on November 15, 2013 in a technical launch ceremony at the Fincantieri shipyard in Marghera, Italy. The 132,500-ton, 3,724-passenger ship is scheduled for delivery on October 30, 2014.
COSTA DIADEMA Maritime Matters
The wrecked Costa Concordia’s engine room crew has said “Captain didn’t care if they died”, while revealing harrowing details of the incident in the court during the trial of Captain Francesco Schettino.
The Italian court heard accounts of how engine-room staff was struck by a powerful jet of seawater and nearly drowned below decks as the ship flooded, after it slammed into a reef off the Italy’s Giglio Island in January 2012, the Guardian reports.
A technician in the engine room, Hugo di Piazza, said there was a lot of fear in the engine room as the water gushed into the ship from a 50-metre hole below the water line caused by the bang.
Judges also played a recording of an intercepted phone call in which crew struggled to convince Schettino that the ship was sinking, the report added.
Costa Concordia engine-room crew says ‘Captain didn’t care if they died’ Business Standard
Captain Schettino was ‘god’ of Costa Concordia, says Moldovan dancer The Telegraph
Concordia trial: Captain told engines were flooded StarNews Online
British diver steals from Costa Concordia Wreck Cruise News
Cruiseliner captain delayed evacuation TheStarPhoenix
Costa Concordia captain’s mistress reveals late night sex sessions in cabin before doomed cruise liner sank Mirror News
At least 12 people were killed, four of them children, and an undetermined number of disappeared was the tragic result today after the shipwreck of a small boat on the west coast of Greece, in the Ionian Sea.
Another 15 immigrants managed to reach safety and notify the authorities the place of the accident, between the island of Lefkada and the mainland village of Paleros, according to a police spokesman.
The mobilization of the coast guard was capable of rescuing 12 bodies near the place where the boat was overturned, continuing the work of searching for other victims in a wide surrounding area.
So far, the number of passengers the eight-feet-long vessel transported, their nationalities, and the port is not known.
Coast guard divers recovered the bodies of four children and eight adults after survivors alerted authorities, the Merchant Marine Ministry said. The migrants were presumed to have been headed to nearby Italy from the western Greek mainland.
About 12 Immigrants Dead after Shipwreck off Greek Island Prensa Latina
12 Migrants found dead after boat capsizes mail.com
12 Migrants Found Dead After Boat Capsizes Time World