Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino is accused of abandoning the sinking ship before all passengers were evacuated
Captain of the doomed Cost Concordia, Francesco Schettino, was accused earlier this week of abandoning the ship before all passengers had been evacuated.
An Italian court heard how he did not fall off the cruise liner into a lifeboat as he claims, but instead jumped to safety when the ship was sinking.
Mr Schettino is currently on trial for manslaughter and abandoning ship after the cruise ship hit rocks off the coast of Giglio resulting in 32 deaths.
Trainee officer Stefano Iannelli, who was on board the ship at the time, told the hearing: “We found a lifeboat. I jumped on. Schettino had jumped on just before me.”
However, Mr Schettino has insisted he fell into the lifeboat after slipping off the Costa Concordia.
“We had formed a human chain so as not to slip,” Mr Iannelli told the court.
Costa Concordia captain accused of abandoning ship YBW World
Falmouth firm helps raise the Costa Concordia thewestcountry
The wrecked Costa Concordia‘s captain, Francesco Schettino, has been accused of abandoning the ship even before all passengers were evacuated.
A trainee officer on board the stricken ship, Stefano Iannelli, told the court that captain Schettino and he jumped to safety on a lifeboat that they found, when the vessel started sinking, Sky News reports.
Schettino had, earlier, insisted that he slipped off the cruise liner, which was already tilting at a 90-degree angle, and fell into a lifeboat.
According to the report, his testimony would now appear to confirm accusations that the captain headed ashore to ensure his own safety, while terrified passengers remained trapped aboard the capsized ship.
Costa Concordia’s captain ‘jumped-off’ to safety from sinking ship Business Standard
Costa Concordia Trainee Officer Disputes Captain’s Story KVNU
Costa Concordia engine-room crew says ‘Captain didn’t care if they died’ News Track India
Costa Concordia Trainee Officer Disputes Captain’s Story Publication
Costa Concordia Crewman Testifies to Captain’s Cowardice WPRO
Read More Skrift
Captain Francesco Schettino jumped into a lifeboat and abandoned the Costa Concordia minutes before his cruise liner capsized off the Italian island of Giglio, a court has heard. Concordia midshipman Stefano Iannelli told a court in Grosseto, Tuscany, that Schettino did not fell from the liner, as the captain and his defence team maintained, but boarded a lifeboat and safely made his way to shore while passengers struggled in the water. Iannelli said that as the Concordia was being evacuated after it hit a rock he was helping people off the vessel with a rescue team on the fourth deck of the starboard side.
Read More IBTimes
Captain Schettino ‘Jumped into Lifeboat Euronews
Testimony: Schettino fled Costa Concordia ‘just before’ deck sank UPI
Captain ‘Jumped Off Sinking Costa Concordia’ Sky News
Four men suspected of trying to steal items from Costa Concordia wreck Fox News
‘Captain Coward’ Jumped to Safety, Costa Concordia Crewman Confirms Maritime Executive
Dublin man among four arrested on suspicion of stealing from Costa Concordia The Journal
Captain Francesco Schettino jumped off sinking Costa Concordia, trainee officer tells court Perth Now
A British diver has been arrested after being caught red-handed hunting for souvenirs on the Costa Concordia shipwreck.
The 42-year-old man was one of four caught, with the others being an Irish man and two South Africans.
All four men were staff who worked for the salvage group Titan, which had been employed to raise the Concordia from the seabed in Giglio.
The men were spotted by CCTV cameras in the early hours of Saturday morning, and a boat was sent to investigate.
They were found with an empty rucksack bearing the cruise ship’s company logo, reports the Daily Telegraph.
Captain Francesco Schettino jumped off sinking Costa Concordia Travel AOL
Four divers arrested as they hunted souvenirs on Costa Concordia Digital Journal
Divers Arrested for Souvenir Hunting at Concordia Site Cruise Critic
Arrests over Costa Condordia wreck ‘souvenir hunting’
- The unnamed 42-year-old man was an employee of salvage group Titan, hired to raise the Costa Concordia from the seabed
- Was caught by Italian police alongside three other Titan staff
- Four were arrested in the early hours of Saturday morning and charged with theft and violating a crime scene before being released on bail
- Titan said today they have dismissed all four men
A British diver is among four people held by police after they were caught red handed on the wreck of the Costa Concordia hunting for souvenirs.
The 42-year-old man from London, who has not been named and the others, an Irish man, 35, and two South Africans, 24 and 26, were all staff of the salvage group Titan – which had been employed in the laborious operation to raise the Concordia from the seabed.
British diver arrested after being caught souvenir hunting
Police in Sicily have detained a 34-year-old Somali alleged to be the organizer behind the smugglers’ ship packed with migrants that sank off the coast of a southern Italian island, killing more than 365 migrants.
Police on Friday announced the detention of Mouhamud Elmi Muhidin, who faces charges of kidnapping, sexual assault, people trafficking and criminal association with the goal of aiding illegal immigration. The suspect was identified by survivors.
Italian Police Detain Somali in Migrant Shipwreck ABC News
The Moldovan dancer who admitted having an affair with Captain Francesco Schettino, the commander of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, has insisted her presence on the bridge did not distract him on the night that the liner ran aground on the island of Giglio.
Domnica Cemortan, 26, had dinner with Captain Schettino, 53, and was invited on to the bridge about 15 minutes before the ship smashed into rocks, prompting a panic-stricken evacuation of its 4,200 passengers. “It’s very easy for Italians to think that the blonde, the Moldovan dancer, distracted the captain. But I didn’t,”
Insurance broker and Maritime London member Willis believes that ro-pax ferries are bearing an unfair share of costs allocated to passenger ships within the International Group of P&I Clubs’ reinsurance pool.
The broker’s head of global P&I, Ben Abraham, told delegates at the recent Interferry annual conference in Malta that there was a compelling argument to differentiate between pure passenger ships and ro-pax ferries, where most carrying capacity is taken up by freight, because their catastrophe risk is so different.
Ro-Pax Ferries Bear Excessive Reinsurance Burden Says Broker Marine Link
A special commission on Tuesday approved a plan to divert cruise ships away from Venice’s historic center by 2016, but activists seeking to rid the city of the giant ships expressed reservations about the proposed new route.
The fatal sinking of the Costa Concordia in January 2012 ratcheted up pressure to divert the ships from the central Giudecca canal and St. Mark’s Basin. Currently, cruise ships pass within 300 meters (1,000 feet) of St. Mark’s Square, granting a stunning view to those aboard the ship but presenting a jarring sight against the backdrop of Venice’s Byzantine architecture.
Italy to divert cruise ships from historic Venice wral.com
Ever since the Costa Concordia disaster, cruise lines have increasingly resorted to paying for press releases to try and convince the public to cruise.
The latest press release was by Carnival Cruise Line yesterday, announcing that the cruise line has partnered with the New Orleans Saints.
Carnival will be sponsoring some type of half-time promotion where a Saints fan will get a free cruise aboard the renovated Carnival Sunshine cruise ship, which sails on its inaugural voyage from New Orleans the following day.
Carnival Cruise Line Teams Up With New Orleans Saints Crewsliner News