Light jail sentences given in a plea bargain to five Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed in Italy’s Supreme Court, prosecutors said Monday.
On Jan. 31 the Court of Cassation will review sentences handed down in manslaughter trials after the ship ran aground last year off the coast of Tuscany, killing 32 people, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Prosecutors in Florence, Italy, are contesting light jail sentences given in July to crisis management chief Roberto Ferrarini, hotel quarters director Manrico Giampedroni, first officer Ciro Ambosio, officer Silvia Coronica and helmsmen Jacob Rusli, ranging from one year and six months to two years and 10 months.
Light sentences to Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed UPI
The shipwrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner could be re-floated by June 2014, the engineer overseeing the long-delayed salvage operation off the Italian island of Giglio said on Saturday.
He said giant tanks that will help float the ship will be fixed to its side by April, mirroring the ones already welded to the other side before the 290-metre (951-foot) ship was dragged upright in September.
“This would allow us to re-float the ship by June,” Franco Porcellacchia told local residents on Giglio
Costa Concordia cruise liner could be re-floated by June Zee News
Despite several unfortunate incidents at the start of 2013, Carnival Corporation has made it through the year without being a major disappointment. Thanks to smart leadership and savvy program changes, it’s minimized the effect of its rough first two quarters.
Why the year started off looking bleak
Carnival Corporation owns 10 cruise lines; one of these is Costa. The year began with the Costa Concordia half-sunk off the coast of Italy, and its captain on trial. The Triumph, Dream, Legend, and Elation from Carnival’s flagship brand also experienced problems before the close of the second quarter, ranging from fires to broken propulsion systems.
Carnival wasn’t the only trouble-plagued cruise line. The Grandeur of the Seas, owned by Royal Caribbean (NYSE: RCL ) , experienced an onboard fire in May. Thomson Cruises’ staff on the Majesty suffered a fatal accident in February. These industrywide issues were also expected to greatly decrease customer confidence in Carnival and cruising in general.
The actual financial impact
Carnival’s third-quarter net income fell 17.4% year over year. Operating costs rose across the board — but much of that came from one-time payments resulting from the accidents. The news could have been much worse in light of the rough waters Carnival navigated during 2012 and early 2013. Instead, Carnival’s making visible progress toward growth, despite year-to-date total revenue being lower than it was this time last year.
How Carnival’s New Leader Is Righting the Ship The Motley Fool
Given the events of 2012, the choice of ‘Marine Insurance – building resilience and defining a sustainable future’ as the common theme for the IUMI annual conference could not have been more apt.
The Costa Concordia was the biggest single casualty loss in history for the marine insurance market and Superstorm Sandy at an estimated cost of $2bn to $2.5bn delivered the biggest combined event loss ever for marine underwriters industry. However, the insurance market has shown its resilience to deal with these losses but the market has to look to the future and the changing needs of its clients.
Marine insurers need to adapt to thrive Link2
A panel of judges are allowing for a new forensic examination of the Costa Concordia to be carried out following a lift of the semi-submerged wreckage earlier this year. Remains of the ship are still situated where the cruise liner hit rocks off the island of Giglio in January, killing 32 people. The consumer group Codacons and the criminal defence for Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino petitioned for the new survey to be completed.
Court grants new examination of Costa Concordia shipwreck YBW.com
Witness: 100 aboard Costa ship when captain fled Morning News Online
An Italian court has heard that a coastguard official aboard the doomed cruise liner Costa Concordia had told its captain, Francesco Schettino, to get back on the ship as he fled on a lifeboat leaving almost 300 people to die in the capsizing vessel. The phone conversations between Commander Gregorio De Falco and Captain Schettino were played in the court which revealed that about two-and-a-half hours after the impact of the ship with the rocks, Schettino was on a lifeboat claiming that only 10 people were left on board, Sky News reports.
However, De Falco confirmed that the coastguard officials believed between two and three hundred passengers were still on the ship, when Schettino shook off his responsibility and left in a lifeboat. The ship slowly capsized off the Italian island of Giglio in January 2012 killing 32 people, and Captain Schettino stands trial for manslaughter and abandoning ship.
Costa Concordia Captain abandoned ship Malaysia Sun
100 aboard Costa ship when captain fled Boston.Com
An Italian Coast Guard commander testified Monday he thought the captain of the doomed cruise ship Costa Concordia was unaware of the severity of the crisis. Cmdr. Gregorio De Falco said, at the criminal trial of Capt. Francesco Schettino in Grosseto, Italy, he tried without success to persuade Schettino to return to his duties and help passengers leave the sinking cruise ship. Schettino is on trial for multiple counts of manslaughter in the January 2012 shipwreck of the 951-foot, $618 million cruise ship off the coast of Tuscany that killed 32 people. Thousands more of the 4,200 passengers aboard were plunged into the water when the ship ran aground near the coastal town of Giglio and began to sink.
Captain unaware of severity of Costa Concordia crisis, witness says UPI
Hundreds of people were still aboard the Costa Concordia when the commander fled in a lifeboat, an Italian Coast Guard official testified Monday, adding that rescuers received first word of the seriousness of the shipwreck only after a passenger used a cell phone to call family. Coast Guard Capt. Gregorio De Falco became a national hero after repeatedly ordering Francesco Schettino, the commander on trial in Grosseto, Tuscany, to return to the badly listing vessel. Schettino is charged with manslaughter, abandoning ship and of causing the 2012 shipwreck by sailing too close to the Tuscan island of Giglio. The Concordia smashed into a reef, which gashed the hull, sending sea water pouring in. Thirty-two people died. De Falco told the court that the Concordia sent out its first distress signal 53 minutes after the Jan. 13 collision. Until then, he said, the ship’s officers kept “giving us reassurances about the situation on board,” insisting that the Concordia had only suffered a power blackout.
Read More The Mercury Nation-world
Costa Concordia Trial: Shipwreck ‘Hero and Villain’ Cross in Grosseto Court IBU Times
Costa Concordia captain ‘fled packed ship’ Publication
Gregorio De Falco, who uttered the famous “Get back on board, for f—‘s sake”, comes face to face with Francesco Schettino, the captain of the Costa Concordia
An Italian court was played a tape-recorded exchange on Monday in which Capt Francesco Schettino of the Costa Concordia was told “Get back on board, for f—‘s sake”, by a furious Coast Guard officer hours after the ship rammed into rocks off the island of Giglio.
The order, which subsequently became a talking point in Italy and adorned specially made T-shirts and posters, was given by an incredulous Gregorio De Falco after he found out that Capt Schettino had jumped into a lifeboat while hundreds of passengers and crew were still on board the stricken cruise ship.
The two men came face to face in court for the first time since the capsizing of the Concordia nearly two years ago.
Costa Concordia: court hears moment captain was told to ‘get back on board’ The Telegraph
Carnival Cruise Line is looking to improve safety for cruise passengers by improving the training of crew, and this move comes after a number of incidents and of course the Costa Concordia disaster that saw a captain brought into the spotlight after questionable choices.
The sinking of Costa Concordia cost a number of cruise lines a lot of money through people not spending on cruise holidays, only a small percentage that were worried after the incident, so Carnival Corp. plan on spending millions of dollars to restore confidence in crew, cruises and to make sure nothing like this happens again.
Carnival update cruise training after Costa Concordia Cruise Ship News