Another Blonde-Bimbo-in-the-Bridge

Its been two years since the deadly Costa Concordia disaster. It’s much safer now the cruise lines assure us. The cruise line trade organization, CLIA, reminds us of all of the new protocols which the cruise industry implemented shortly after the Concordia capsized.

One of the new rules prohibits family, guests or other persons not essential to the navigation of the vessel from being on the bridge. This was to prevent “disruptions and distractions to the bridge team members while monitoring the navigation of the ship.”
This new proposal came about because at the time of the disaster, disgraced Captain Schettino had invited his (often-photographed-in-a-bikini} paramour, Moldovan dancer Domnica Cemortan, to the bridge.
I call this the “no-bimbo’s-on-the-bridge” protocol.
It’s pretty embarrassing that this is how the playboy officers on the Costa cruise were acting at the time of the disaster. It’s even more embarrassing that the cruise lines had so little confidence in their navigational crew that they had to adopt a policy outlawing such immature, fraternity-like behavior.

Another Blonde-Bimbo-in-the-Bridge Cruise Law News
Costa Cruises under fire after Romanian blonde poses with machinegun on bridge of ship Telegraph
Passengers Urge 3rd DCA To Keep Costa Concordia Suits In Miami Daily Business Review
The Civil Service undergoes a peer review
The House of Lords debate on the future of the Civil Service is likely to expose the tensions and fears at the heart of Whitehall
Telegraph

Since the Concordia shipwreck, safety advances

After a bruising couple of years for the global cruise business, ship operators have emerged with a sharper focus on safety and reliability — and on setting travelers’ minds at ease.

Two years after the fatal grounding of the Costa Concordia in Italy, the industry has adopted new rules on emergency drills, ship operations and life jackets, and has introduced a “passenger bill of rights.” And Costa owner Carnival Corp., has announced massive investments in ship upgrades following the disabling fire aboard the Carnival Triumph a year ago.

“I first started cruising in 1965 and certainly I’ve not seen this level of attention and focus on safety,” said Douglas Ward, author of 2014 Berlitz Cruising and Cruise Ships. “I think all the cruise lines are definitely going in the right direction.”

Some critics say the changes are more talk than action, but cruise companies and longtime observers say the prolonged attention has led to a safer product and a greater willingness to shine a light on sensitive subjects. Everyone agrees, however, that there is more work to be done…

Since the Concordia shipwreck, safety advances Miami Herald
Survivors remember Costa Concordia disaster Stuff
Vigil marks Costa Concordia anniversary News.Com.AU

Survivors mark 2nd anniversary of Costa Concordia wreck

Survivors of the capsized Costa Concordia are commemorating the second anniversary of the grounding off Tuscany that killed 32 people with a candlelight march on Giglio island and a moment of silence in the Italian courtroom where the captain is on trial.

Judges and survivors alike stood in silence Monday morning inside the theatre-turned courtroom where Capt. Francesco Schettino stands accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the Concordia before all passengers had been evacuated. He says he’s innocent and saved lives.

Residents of Giglio are finally seeing the end of their ordeal, with June set as the date to remove the wreck from the island’s port. They received a boost in spirits in September when salvage crews pulled off an unprecedented engineering feat to right the 115-ton, ,000-foot-long wreck in preparation for it to be towed away.

Survivors mark 2nd anniversary of Costa Concordia wreck CTV News
Massive operation to move wrecked Costa Concordia begins New York Daily News

Shipwrecked Costa Concordia To Be Removed In June

The Costa Concordia cruise ship wreck will start its final phase of an unprecedented $817 million salvage effort in June when it will be taken off Tuscany and moved off to a port to be disassembled, the Associated Press reported.

The timetable and the rundown of what would be needed for the ship to be refloated again was provided by Italy’s civil protection chief and Costa Crociere officials at a news conference on Friday.

The conference was held just days before the second anniversary of the ship’s January 13, 2012, grounding that killed 32 people, the AP reported. Piombino, Genoa, Palermo and Civitavecchia are some of the ports that are bidding to take in the wreck and dismantle it for scrap. Ports in France, Turkey, Britain and even China are also bidding for the job.


Shipwrecked Costa Concordia To Be Removed In June Headlines & Global News
Shipwrecked Costa Concordia will be removed, dismantled News-Herald
Wrecked’ Costa Concordia to be removed from Italian waters in June Business Standard
Damaged Concordia cruise ship to be removed from Giglio in June; final port to be decided Brandon Sun
Salvagers aim to refloat Costa Concordia in June Times of Malta
Massive operation to move wrecked Costa Concordia begins Irish Independent
Two years later… Peninsula On-line
Read More Morocco World News

COSTA CONCORDIA Conference


A press conference was held in Rome, Italy, today by Costa Crociere and the Protezione Civile to provide an update on the COSTA CONCORDIA salvage operations known as the “Parbuckling Project”.

Speakers included Andrea Orlando, Italy’s Minister of Environment; Franco Gabrielli, Italian Government Deputy Commissioner for the Concordia emergency; Michael Thamm, chief executive officer, Costa Cruises; and Franco Porcellacchia, project manager removal project, Costa Cruises. Removal of the wreck will begin in June, with ports in Italy, Britain, France, Turkey and China all bidding for the contract to dismantle the ship, officials say.

Recent operations at Giglio included “winterization measures” to guarantee additional stability of the wreck for the winter season. Completed in December 2013, this consisted of positioning 28 tubular steel braces connecting sponsons on the wreck to underwater platforms on the offshore side; putting grout bags on the inshore side and installation of an additional holdback system for the bow.

COSTA CONCORDIA Conference Maritime Matters

Concordia wreck to be examined

THE wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise liner is to be inspected for the first time since its fatal 2012 accident, after an Italian judge agreed to let experts climb aboard to collect fresh evidence.

On January 23, a delegation is to inspect the bridge of the vessel to check for any remaining electronic apparatus and to look at the on-board lifts.

Four days later, the experts are to return to the ship to inspect the emergency generator, which failed to activate on the night of the disaster. The dates might change, however, in case of bad weather.

Costa boss retires with million euro payoff

Costa boss retires with million euro pay-off. Former Costa Cruises chief executive Pier Luigi Foschi has been given a 1.25m euro pay-off on his retirement from the board of Carnival. The cruise boss, who was the public face of the company after the Costa Concordia tragedy in 2012, has stepped down from the board nearly two years later.

He retired as Costa chief executive in July 2012 but continued as chairman of the Italian line.

A mutual separation and settlement agreement has been signed covering non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality covenants as well as a general waiver of claims against Carnival, its affiliates, officers and directors by Mr. Foschi, said the company.

Costa boss retires with million euro payoff TravelMole
Concordia Two Years Later: Former Costa CEO Pier Luigi Foschi Retiring from Carnival with Bonus While Victims Remain Uncompensated Cruise Law News
Former Costa Cruises CEO Officially Retires Two Years After Concordia Disaster Skrift

Carnival says former Costa Cruises CEO retiring

Carnival Corp. said Tuesday that the former CEO of Costa Cruises, the company behind the Concordia disaster, is retiring.

Costa owns the Concordia cruise ship that capsized off the central Italian coast in early 2012. Pier Luigi Foschi was CEO at Costa Cruises when the Concordia slammed into a reef off the Tuscan island of Giglio with more than 4,000 people on board. Thirty-two people died.

Carnival said Tuesday that Foschi, 67, is retiring after 16 years with the company. Foschi retired as Costa Cruises CEO six months after the Concordia disaster. Parent company Carnival later named him head of its business in Asia.

Carnival says former Costa Cruises CEO retiring Beaumont Enterprise

Safety tough to achieve where people are involved

Many think having two tugs escorting every oil tanker, plus meticulously certified crews, will make tanker traffic in narrow B.C. coastal inlets a safe activity.

Before believing that story, the following should be thought about: According to the B.C. Maritime Museum Graveyard of the Pacific website: “Human error is a factor in almost every shipwreck situation.” Notable ships to sink due to human error: The Queen of the North in 2006 when bridge staff ignored navigation equipment. The cruise ship Costa Concordia that ran aground off the coast of Italy in 2012.

Safety tough to achieve where people are involved The Vancouver Sun

Marine emergency responder association moves to Houston

Marine Response Alliance, an association of the top U.S. emergency responders providing salvage marine firefighting, has relocated from Pompano, Fla., to Houston, company representatives said Tuesday.

MRA will be situated with international partner Titan Salvage — which in November also moved its headquarters from Pompano to Houston — in a new, 102,500-square-foot maintenance and warehousing facility, with 4.61 acres of outside storage, at 15894 Diplomatic Plaza Drive near George Bush Intercontinental Airport. The facility includes a state-of-the-art emergency response center manned 24 hours a day, the only one of its kind in the nation, officials said.

Marine emergency responder association moves to Houston Biz journal

Death, assaults, lawlessness … the dark side of the cruise industry Herald Sun