TThe closed door hearing regarding the 2012 grounding of the Costa Concordia continues in Italy, with prosecutors wanting Captain Francesco Schettino to stand trial for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the ship before all 4,200 passengers and crew had been evacuated.Italian prosecutors have also rejected a plea bargain bid by the captain of the Costa Concordia that ran aground off Italy last year, killing 32 people, according to an Associated Press report.
The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people, has failed in his bid for a plea bargain. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all passengers and crew were evacuated.His lawyer, Francesco Pepe, said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at trial, but when the other defendants all sought plea bargains, his defence team sought one, too. Mr Pepe said prosecutors have agreed to plea bargains for all except Schettino. That means Schettino might be the only defendant if a trial is ordered.
GROSSETO, Italy – Italian prosecutors on Tuesday rejected a plea bargain bid by the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that ran aground off Italy last year, killing 32 people, defense lawyers said. Capt. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all 4,200 passengers and crew were evacuated.Defense lawyer Francesco Pepe said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at a trial but when the five other defendants in the shipwreck off the Tuscan coast all sought plea bargains during a closed-door hearing Tuesday, his defense team decided to change strategy.
The captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia ship, Francesco Schettino, enters an Italian court for a pre-trial hearing. The court will decide who should stand trial and under which charges for the Costa Concordia crash, which killed 32 people in January 2012. The hearing is taking place in a theatre in the centre of the Tuscan town of Grosseto to allow a large number of people to attend the proceedings if warranted. Prosecutors are seeking to have Schettino tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship. They also want to send five other Concordia officers to trial over the accident. The lawyer representing Francesco Schettino said the captain was feeling depressed. He is a man like everybody else, he is only human, he said. His legal team is set to request a simulation of the wreck using a twin ship or if that’s not possible, a computer simulation. But any additional tests or simulations would further prolong the start of the trial …
An Italian judge began hearing a request Monday to send the former captain of the Costa Concordia and five other ship’s officers to trial over the accident which sank the liner with the loss of 32 lives in January 2012. Prosecutors are seeking to have the 52-year-old captain, Francesco Schettino, tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.Both Schettino and the ship’s owners Costa Cruises were heavily criticised over both the accident and the chaotic night-time evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew. Costa paid 1 million euros ($1.31 million) to settle potential criminal charges although the payment did not affect civil lawsuits.
The Costa Concordia disaster was 14 months ago and finally there is a complete plan to remove the ship. While it’s been known for months they were refloating and towing it for dismantling, only now have Italian officials decided the port it will go to. The government in Italy announced last week that the ship, which lies 300 metres off the island of Giglio in the Tuscan Bay, once refloated will be towed to the nearest port, the port of Piombino in Tuscany. Some opponents are arguing that could lengthen the removal operation as there is upgrading work to be done in that port; however…
Captain of cruise liner that crashed into rocks could face charges of manslaughter and abandoning ship.
The youngest victim of the Costa Concordia sinking died shortly after being told there was no space for her or her father in a lifeboat, Italian prosecutors have said.
Italian prosecutors have officially requested an indictment of the Costa Concordia‘s captain on manslaughter charges after the grounding of the cruise liner killed 32 people off the Tuscan coast last year. Prosecutors in Grosseto, Tuscany, are also seeking the trial of Francesco Schettino on charges of causing a shipwreck and abandoning the vessel during the frantic and confused evacuation of passengers and crew.