Passenger Hurt in New York Seastreak Crash to Get $5M
Three passengers injured when a commuter ferry crashed into a lower Manhattan pier in 2013 have recently settled lawsuits for a total of nearly $6 million, including $5 million for a passenger who suffered brain injuries.
The settlements were signed by U.S. Magistrate Mark Falk this month in the ongoing litigation against Seastreak LLC, owner of the vessel.
More than 80 people were injured on Jan. 9, 2013 when the Wall Street-bound Seastreak crashed into a dock near the South Street Seaport, sending people tumbling down stairs and into walls.
Maybe it was the string of customer-service disasters, starting with the Costa Concordia tragedy last year and leading up to the recent Carnival Triumph “poop” cruise, on which passengers were left adrift in the Gulf of Mexico for five days without working toilets. Maybe it was the threat of government regulation from Sen. Charles Schumer (D.-N.Y.), a vocal critic of the cruise industry, that made it move. Then again, maybe we should just take the cruise industry at its word on its decision, announced just before the Memorial Day holiday, to introduce a passenger “bill of rights.”
The cruise line didn’t explain. In situations involving refunds and compensation for travelers, there usually isn’t much explanation. So you’ve survived for five days stranded at sea aboard the Carnival Triumph. The ship had no working toilets, sewage dripped from walls, and the whole place smelled “like a hot port-o-potty.” Here’s $500 for your troubles. Last week, after the Triumph was finally tugged into Alabama and passengers kissed solid ground in relief, Carnival announced that all passengers on the ship—which was hit with a fire in an engine room and left without power in the Gulf of Mexico—would receive some compensation. The offer included a full refund for the cruise and travel expenses, reimbursement for nearly everything they spent on board the ship, a credit good toward a future cruise, plus a check for $500.
The total claims related to the Costa Concordia shipwreck last year are finally ready to be reviewed. The total price for the wreck is currently USD 750 million. As a result, insurance premiums have been increased for both freight- and passenger ships, and the trend will continue, says Danish Skuld.
TravelersToday Despite the deadly crash of the Costa Concordia in January, cruise lines have seen an increase in bookings in 2012. The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) found that there has actually been an increase in cruise bookings this year. After polling travel agents, the group found that more than half of them reported an increase in cruise sales. Twenty-five percent of the travel agents said that the number of cruise booking was similar to last year. Read More Travelers Today Read More The Independent Read More Royal Caribbeanblog Read More Miami Herald
msnbc.com Rock Center- Six months after the Costa Concordia ran aground off the coast of Italy, the massive cruise ship remains where it tipped over. Those who survived the crash have learned that the agreements they signed at the start of the cruise leave Carnival Corporation, the owner of Costa Cruises, with very limited liability for the wreck. Read More Rock Center with Brian Williams Read More Spar Point Group Read More Carrentals.co.uk Read More thewest.com.au Read More Digital journal Read More BBC
The owner of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Italy has agreed to pay $11000 to each of the 235 French nationals affected. And a settlement has been reached for survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster.The owner of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Italy has agreed to pay $11,000 to each of the 235 French nationals affected.
A dancer who was caught up in the Costa Concordia cruise disaster has said the amount of compensation offered by the ship’s owners is “insulting”. Rose Metcalf, of Dorset, was performing on the ship when it ran aground off Italy, resulting in 32 deaths. She has been offered 6,000 euros, which she believes to be a third of the value of the possessions she lost. Miss Metcalf, 23, has joined a class action lawsuit in the US against the ship’s operators, Carnival Group. Read More BBC
Just hours later, I learned that the Costa Concordia cruise ship suffered a Titanic-like disaster. I had once worked for the Costa Line and felt a visceral pain at the very sight of the capsized ship. It looked like a beached behemoth. Read More
By Cynthia O’Murchu in London
Crew members who survived the deadly wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship in January have felt pressure to accept cash settlements quickly in order to return to their jobs, lawyers advising on possible claims against the ship’s owners have told the Financial Times.Costa Crociere, the Carnival subsidiary that operated the Concordia, and Cruise Ships Catering International, a subsidiary that hired food and beverage workers, have offered crew members a payout for losses that also requires them to forfeit their right to claim psychological and physical distress from the wreck.