Italian authorities are searching for the helmsman who was steering the Costa Concordia on the night it smashed into the island of Giglio after he failed to turn up for a court hearing in the trial of Capt Francesco Schettino on Tuesday.
Jacob Rusli Bin, from Indonesia, was supposed to have given evidence to the court in the Tuscan town of Grosseto but did not appear and could not be traced.
Helmsman from Costa Concordia disaster fails to turn up for trial of captain The Telegraph
Costa has been through the mill since the terrible incident with the Costa Concordia. Cruise bookings fell to worryingly levels, which forced the company to issue some never before seen price reductions, some of them felt as though the company was giving them away.
However, they have since bounced back, not to what they once were, but the recovery was always going to be a long process. We know that what happened was a terrible thing, but people still fly on planes even after hearing of a plane crash, and for many people this is the same when hearing that a ship has sunk.
Costa Cruises push for new jobs Cruise ship news
On the night of the Costa Concordia tragedy, it was first mate Roberto Bosio who gave the order to abandon ship. As Bosio told the court in the trial of the Captain Francesco Schettino, Schettino refused to.
Instead the ship’s captain ignored numerous requests from officers to give that order and continued talking on a phone to the crisis center of the ship’s owner, Costa Crociere, acting as if he was in denial of the ship’s perilous condition.
Bosio, who has been credited by many with saving lives while going above Schettino’s head and giving the order, told the court that “since he (Schettino) wasn’t giving any input, the other officials turned to me for a decision.”
Trial: Costa Concordia’s captain delayed so first mate took over Digital Journal
Costa boss retires with million euro pay-off. Former Costa Cruises chief executive Pier Luigi Foschi has been given a 1.25m euro pay-off on his retirement from the board of Carnival. The cruise boss, who was the public face of the company after the Costa Concordia tragedy in 2012, has stepped down from the board nearly two years later.
He retired as Costa chief executive in July 2012 but continued as chairman of the Italian line.
A mutual separation and settlement agreement has been signed covering non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality covenants as well as a general waiver of claims against Carnival, its affiliates, officers and directors by Mr. Foschi, said the company.
Costa boss retires with million euro payoff TravelMole
Concordia Two Years Later: Former Costa CEO Pier Luigi Foschi Retiring from Carnival with Bonus While Victims Remain Uncompensated Cruise Law News
Former Costa Cruises CEO Officially Retires Two Years After Concordia Disaster Skrift
Carnival Corp. said Tuesday that the former CEO of Costa Cruises, the company behind the Concordia disaster, is retiring.
Costa owns the Concordia cruise ship that capsized off the central Italian coast in early 2012. Pier Luigi Foschi was CEO at Costa Cruises when the Concordia slammed into a reef off the Tuscan island of Giglio with more than 4,000 people on board. Thirty-two people died.
Carnival said Tuesday that Foschi, 67, is retiring after 16 years with the company. Foschi retired as Costa Cruises CEO six months after the Concordia disaster. Parent company Carnival later named him head of its business in Asia.
Carnival says former Costa Cruises CEO retiring Beaumont Enterprise
South Floridians now have a new option for experiencing Costa Cruises unique brand of Italian-style cruising.
Earlier this month, the Genoa, Italy-based cruise line deployed its 2,260-passenger Costa Luminosa cruise ship to South Florida, making it the line’s newest and largest ship ever to sail from Miami.
Costa’s Luminosa ship now sailing from Miami Sun Sentinel
Carnival Cruise Line is looking to improve safety for cruise passengers by improving the training of crew, and this move comes after a number of incidents and of course the Costa Concordia disaster that saw a captain brought into the spotlight after questionable choices.
The sinking of Costa Concordia cost a number of cruise lines a lot of money through people not spending on cruise holidays, only a small percentage that were worried after the incident, so Carnival Corp. plan on spending millions of dollars to restore confidence in crew, cruises and to make sure nothing like this happens again.
Carnival update cruise training after Costa Concordia Cruise Ship News
Two missing bodies from the Costa Concordia wreck site have been found after divers searched the area after the cruise ship was raised. The unidentified human remains may be those of Italian cruise passenger Maria Grazia Tricarichi and Indian crew member Russel Rebello.
“During a search in the water near the central part of the ship, coast guard and police divers found remains, which still have to be identified with DNA,” Italy’s civil protection Commissioner Franco Gabrielli said in a statement. Gabrielli said the remains discovered on Thursday were “absolutely consistent” with the two missing passengers.
Thirty other passengers were killed in the disaster when the Costa Concordia ran aground on January 13, 2012.
Costa Concordia Human Remains Found
Divers Recover Two Bodies of Shipwreck on Giglio Island latinos post
Costa Concordia: Remains Found Could be Last of Unaccounted for Victims
Read more at http://global.christianpost.com/news/costa-concordia-remains-found-could-be-last-of-unaccounted-for-victims-105469/#35bS0gEOWuiOrp7r.99 CP Europe
Search for missing Concordia victims continues Gazetta Del Sud
5 Reasons to Book Your Carnival Cruise Now The Motley Fool
While the Costa Concordia remains on her side off the Tuscan island of Giglio, the salvage master, South African Mr Nick Sloane, who works for US-owned company Titan Salvage says the vessel has compressed about 3m since coming to rest on the rocks 19 months ago. Mr Nick Sloane, says everything is on track for the Concordia to be righted in September, adding the excitement was building around the site of wreck off the Tuscan island of Giglio, as his salvage team prepared to right the ship by using rope slings. Four of the six large platforms to be used for the ship to be rolled on to had been built and the other two should be ready by the end of next month.
South African heads up Concordia salvage Travel Blackboard
Lancashire still buoyant after Costa Concordia bill The Telegraph