On July 20, 2013, five crew members of the Costa Concordia cruise ship were convicted of manslaughter for their role in the shipwreck in January 2012, which resulted in the deaths of 32 people. The captain of the ship, Francesco Schettino, the only remaining defendant, is being tried separately. The owner of the cruise ship, Costa Crociere SpA/Carnival Corporation paid a fine of one million euro to avoid any criminal liability claim Ronai & Ronai. Holly Ostrov Ronai, Esq. stated that “Costa Crociere/Carnival Corp. did not properly train their employees to safely and effectively evacuate the passengers on their ship. The evacuation of the entire ship off Giglio Island clearly should not have taken over six hours to complete. Although the five employees and Captain Schettino caused the allision itself, Costa Crociere/Carnival Corp. should be held responsible for the deaths of the 32 people and injuries to others.”
Costa Concordia: Lawyers Maintain Owners Criminally Liable Marine Link
5 convicted for Costa Concordia shipwreck redding.com
Judge dismisses three cases, fines others in Costa Concordia gazzetta del sud
Judge dismisses three cases, fines others in Costa Concordia Sky News
Five Sentenced for Italy’s Costa Concordia Shipwreck wall street journal
The captain of the capsized Costa Concordia on Thursday asked the judge at his manslaughter trial to order tests on the cruise liner’s wreckage to determine why electrical and other systems failed after the vessel struck a reef off an Italian island in 2012, killing 32 people.
The outcome of the request from Francesco Schettino, the sole defendant, won’t be known until at least September. After only two full days of hearings, Judge Giovanni Puliatti on Thursday adjourned the trial until Sept. 23 for summer’s break.
Costa Concordia captain asks judge for tests on shipwreck CTV
Costa Concordia Captain Offers Plea Deal Afloat
Costa Concordia Trial Adjourned Through Septembercruise critic
Captain wants tests on Costa Concordia The Australian
Don’t blame only me, says Costa Concordia disaster captain Express
Prosecutors demand CCTV footage from doomed Costa Concordia Daily Mail
Concordia captain facing 20 years as plea likely to fail Independent.ie
Concordia Captain’s Lawyers Seek New Expert Survey of Ship Hulk Malaysia Sun
Domnica Cemortan, the Moldovan dancer on the bridge of the Costa Concordia when it listed over, drowning 32 people, has hired Italian lawyer Gianluca Madonna. Madonna said that his client will launch several lawsuits relating to that night. The 26-year-old was reported to have been eating dinner with Captain Schettino on the Costa Concordia on the night of Jan. 13, 2012 when the disaster occurred. She is said to have then gone up to the bridge with him, and remained there during his handling of the crisis.
Costa Concordia dancer, alleged lover of Schettino, to sue Digital journal
The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people, has failed in his bid for a plea bargain. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all passengers and crew were evacuated.His lawyer, Francesco Pepe, said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at trial, but when the other defendants all sought plea bargains, his defence team sought one, too. Mr Pepe said prosecutors have agreed to plea bargains for all except Schettino. That means Schettino might be the only defendant if a trial is ordered.
Concordia captain fails in deal bid over crashHerald.ie
Drumming up cruise interest The Province
‘Manners police’ to keep Venice tourists in line, effort is sponsored by Costa Crocieregazzettadelsud
Costa Concordia hearing re-openseuronews
An Italian judge began hearing a request Monday to send the former captain of the Costa Concordia and five other ship’s officers to trial over the accident which sank the liner with the loss of 32 lives in January 2012. Prosecutors are seeking to have the 52-year-old captain, Francesco Schettino, tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.Both Schettino and the ship’s owners Costa Cruises were heavily criticised over both the accident and the chaotic night-time evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew. Costa paid 1 million euros ($1.31 million) to settle potential criminal charges although the payment did not affect civil lawsuits.
Prosecutors pursue trial for Costa Concordia officers Chicago Tribune
Italy court decides who should stand trial BBC News
owner asks court in Italy to consider it a victim of tragedy South China Morning Post
Costa Concordia wreck removal AFP
Costa Concordia indictment hearings open/a> Euronews
Italy court weighs Costa request to join case as injured party Washington Post
The disaster that was the Costa Concordia, which sank on Jan. 13, 2012 with the death of 32, continues to make news. Today, the Costa Crociere, a division of Miami-based Costa Carnival, owners of the ship, reached an out-of-court settlement.Costa Crociere will pay a $1.3 million fine and thus evade going to court over the tragedy. Had their been a court case it would have been lengthy and costly and may have opened them up to further lawsuits, that though the company maintains fault for the disaster lies only with the ship’s captain, Francesco Schettino.
Costa Concordia company to pay $1.3 million fine for shipwreck Digital Journal
Costa Concordia Company Hit With $1.3 Million Fine for January 2012 Disaster Travelers Today
Carnival Corp. unit accepts $1.3 million fine for Costa Concordia disaster Inside Counsel
Owner of Costa Concordia Settles Charges in Fatal Cruise Shipwreck KCEN-TV
‘Costa Concordia’ Owners Fined in Italian Courts Marine Link
Cruise operator Royal Caribbean scouts for consumer agencies PR week
Indian film to be based on Italy cruise shipwreck Global Post
Costa Concordia Disaster: Cruise Line Ordered To Pay $1.3 Million Huff Post
Costa Concordia operator fined News.com.au
Here you can see Costa Concordia, an Italian cruise ship, lying on its side near the island of Gioglio (Italy). The image was captured by DigitalGlob.
Extraordinary Image of Costa Concordia Tragedy Captured From Space Curious Egg
Ialian prosecutors broadened the inquiry into the Costa Concordia disaster on Thursday, announcing that they will investigate alleged failings by the cruise line owners. The widening of the investigation is likely to be beneficial to former passengers, and the relatives of the 32 people who died in the tragedy, who have launched class actions against Costa Cruises and its parent company in the United States, Carnival Corporation. They are seeking tens of millions of pounds in compensation for the loss of loved ones and for the trauma they experienced on the night of Jan 13, 2012.
Costa Concordia owners accused of playing down extent of catastrophe telegraph
January 8, 2013. Long-Term Impact From the Costa Concordia Cruise Disaster? Tweet. Special: The Costa Concordia Disaster, 1 Year Later ) — The Costa Concordia tragedy shined a bright light on cruising and the industry’s safety precautions. In the year since the tragedy, the cruise industry has vowed to monitor and improve safety standards.
Read More Cruise Critic
Read More Radio TImes
Read More Vancouver Sun
Costa Crociere and its contractors now say the Costa Concordia won’t be removed from the coast of Giglio, Italy, until late summer. Previous estimates were that the hull would be refloated and moved by March or April. Costa and Titan-Micoperi, the consortium hired to remove the hull, gave the latest estimate at a Dec. 31 meeting to update Giglio residents.
Read More Travel Post
Read More CNN International