TThe closed door hearing regarding the 2012 grounding of the Costa Concordia continues in Italy, with prosecutors wanting Captain Francesco Schettino to stand trial for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the ship before all 4,200 passengers and crew had been evacuated.Italian prosecutors have also rejected a plea bargain bid by the captain of the Costa Concordia that ran aground off Italy last year, killing 32 people, according to an Associated Press report.
The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people, has failed in his bid for a plea bargain. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all passengers and crew were evacuated.His lawyer, Francesco Pepe, said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at trial, but when the other defendants all sought plea bargains, his defence team sought one, too. Mr Pepe said prosecutors have agreed to plea bargains for all except Schettino. That means Schettino might be the only defendant if a trial is ordered.
GROSSETO, Italy – Italian prosecutors on Tuesday rejected a plea bargain bid by the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that ran aground off Italy last year, killing 32 people, defense lawyers said. Capt. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all 4,200 passengers and crew were evacuated.Defense lawyer Francesco Pepe said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at a trial but when the five other defendants in the shipwreck off the Tuscan coast all sought plea bargains during a closed-door hearing Tuesday, his defense team decided to change strategy.
The captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia ship, Francesco Schettino, enters an Italian court for a pre-trial hearing. The court will decide who should stand trial and under which charges for the Costa Concordia crash, which killed 32 people in January 2012. The hearing is taking place in a theatre in the centre of the Tuscan town of Grosseto to allow a large number of people to attend the proceedings if warranted. Prosecutors are seeking to have Schettino tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship. They also want to send five other Concordia officers to trial over the accident. The lawyer representing Francesco Schettino said the captain was feeling depressed. He is a man like everybody else, he is only human, he said. His legal team is set to request a simulation of the wreck using a twin ship or if that’s not possible, a computer simulation. But any additional tests or simulations would further prolong the start of the trial …
An Italian judge began hearing a request Monday to send the former captain of the Costa Concordia and five other ship’s officers to trial over the accident which sank the liner with the loss of 32 lives in January 2012. Prosecutors are seeking to have the 52-year-old captain, Francesco Schettino, tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.Both Schettino and the ship’s owners Costa Cruises were heavily criticised over both the accident and the chaotic night-time evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew. Costa paid 1 million euros ($1.31 million) to settle potential criminal charges although the payment did not affect civil lawsuits.
CTV NewsGROSSETO, Italy — An Italian court opened a hearing Monday into whether to hand down indictments against the captain and some crew of the Costa Concordia cruise ship for the 2012 grounding off Tuscany that killed 32 people. Prosecutors want Capt. Francesco Schettino to stand trial for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the ship before all the 4,200 passengers and crew had been evacuated. They want four other crew members and a Costa manager on land to face charges of having botched the emergency.
Sen. Jay Rockefeller is outraged by what he sees as Carnival’s abuse of the loopholes in the tax system. However, Carnival has said they pay all the taxes they are required to. Rockefeller, chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee, told Rock Center’s Harry Smith that he regards Carnival “very poorly” as a corporate citizen. Rock Center commissioned S&P Capital IQ to look into Carnival’s taxes and their team found that on billions of dollars in profits over five years, Carnival paid only .6 percent taxes. But Rockefeller believes that Carnival’s extremely low tax rate — while legal — is “disgusting” because of its frequent use of government services.
An Indonesian seafarer working as the helmsman of the ill-fated cruise ship Costa Concordia, which sank off the coast of the Tuscan island of Giglio, Italy, in 2012, has refused to show up at an Italian court. Rusli bin Jakub claimed he was undergoing medical treatment at Omni International Hospital in East Jakarta for shock, depression and trauma caused by the accident.
The Costa Concordia disaster was 14 months ago and finally there is a complete plan to remove the ship. While it’s been known for months they were refloating and towing it for dismantling, only now have Italian officials decided the port it will go to. The government in Italy announced last week that the ship, which lies 300 metres off the island of Giglio in the Tuscan Bay, once refloated will be towed to the nearest port, the port of Piombino in Tuscany. Some opponents are arguing that could lengthen the removal operation as there is upgrading work to be done in that port; however…
Breaking Travel News (press release)
Survivors of the Costa Concordia grounding off the Tuscan coast of Italy in January 2012 won a huge victory in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida last week, when the District Judge ordered the claims of 104 survivors …
Survivors of the Costa Concordia grounding off the Tuscan coast of Italy in January 2012 won a huge victory in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida last week, when the District Judge ordered the claims of 104 survivors remanded to the Florida State Court for continued litigation. The court’s February 15, 2013 order concerned two cases, Denise Abeid-Saba, et al., v. Carnival Corporation et al., and Scimone v. Carnival Corp., together representing the claims of 104 plaintiffs injured when the huge ship capsized after grounding on rocks just off the shore of Isola del Giglio.
Both cases were initially commenced in the Florida State Court against Carnival Corp. as the parent corporation as well as ship designers and the architect. The cases were removed to the Federal Court by the defendants under the CLASS ACTION FAIRNESS ACT OF 2005 (“CAFA”), which allows for the removal of so-called “mass actions” to the federal courts. As the District Court noted, however, the CAFA expressly excludes those cases that are consolidated by a defense motion to achieve the CAFA minimum of 100 plaintiffs. Since neither the Abeid-Saba action nor the Scimone action contained 100 plaintiffs, the Court held that neither was amenable to removal under CAFA. Defendants also plead “federal question” jurisdiction as a second basis for removal; the District Court rejected this argument as well, holding that the interests in the litigation of the Italian government, which took no position in the litigation and neither owned nor operated the doomed vessel, were “speculative at best.” A copy of the decision can be obtained by contacting the law firms. Costa Concordia victims have jurisdiction victory in Florida Breaking Travel News