Its been two years since the deadly Costa Concordia disaster. It’s much safer now the cruise lines assure us. The cruise line trade organization, CLIA, reminds us of all of the new protocols which the cruise industry implemented shortly after the Concordia capsized.
One of the new rules prohibits family, guests or other persons not essential to the navigation of the vessel from being on the bridge. This was to prevent “disruptions and distractions to the bridge team members while monitoring the navigation of the ship.”
This new proposal came about because at the time of the disaster, disgraced Captain Schettino had invited his (often-photographed-in-a-bikini} paramour, Moldovan dancer Domnica Cemortan, to the bridge.
I call this the “no-bimbo’s-on-the-bridge” protocol.
It’s pretty embarrassing that this is how the playboy officers on the Costa cruise were acting at the time of the disaster. It’s even more embarrassing that the cruise lines had so little confidence in their navigational crew that they had to adopt a policy outlawing such immature, fraternity-like behavior.
Another Blonde-Bimbo-in-the-Bridge Cruise Law News
Costa Cruises under fire after Romanian blonde poses with machinegun on bridge of ship Telegraph
Passengers Urge 3rd DCA To Keep Costa Concordia Suits In Miami Daily Business Review
The Civil Service undergoes a peer review
The House of Lords debate on the future of the Civil Service is likely to expose the tensions and fears at the heart of Whitehall Telegraph
It is such a shame that those who lost their lives during the Costa Concordia disaster have yet to find rest, and will not be able to until the cruise ship is taken away and the trial of the captain has reached a conclusion. As you know both are still ongoing and so we would just like to keep you up-to-date with the latest news regarding the ill-fated Costa Concordia.
Firstly, we’d just like to inform you that the 5 Costa Concordia staff members that were given light sentences as part of a plea bargain is to be appealed. At the end of January 2014, the Court of Cassation is to review the sentences, where those involved were given just six months to two-year jail terms.
Latest Costa Concordia sentencing and salvage news Cruise Ship News
Concordia officer: captain on phone before crash News OK
Concordia officer: captain on phone before crash wral.com
Another Crewman Confirms Concordia Captain Was Distracted Maritime Executive
Concordia captain ‘distracted’ before deadly crash Gazzetta del sud
Massive resorts hotels put to sea The republic
The captain of tragic Italian cruise ship, the Costa Concordia, was “distracted” on the bridge leading up to the tragedy that killed 32, the ship’s First Officer Ciro Ambrosio said. Ambrosio is testifying at the trial of Francesco Schettino this week.
He said Schettino had returned to the bridge after having his dinner and was accompanied by the woman Moldovan dancer Domnica Cemortan, who, earlier in the trial admitted she was the captain’s lover. He had taken command of the ship, Ambrosio said at the trial in Grosseto, Italy.
“But he did not immediately speak the phrase ‘I’m taking control,’ which signals a change in command,” Ambrosio told the court. “However, given the way he positioned himself, I assumed he had taken command and I thought I was no longer in charge. Then, since the captain was distracted, and we were getting closer to Giglio, I gave orders to the helmsman.
First Officer: Costa Concordia captain distracted by lover Digital Journal
Light jail sentences given in a plea bargain to five Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed in Italy’s Supreme Court, prosecutors said Monday.
On Jan. 31 the Court of Cassation will review sentences handed down in manslaughter trials after the ship ran aground last year off the coast of Tuscany, killing 32 people, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Prosecutors in Florence, Italy, are contesting light jail sentences given in July to crisis management chief Roberto Ferrarini, hotel quarters director Manrico Giampedroni, first officer Ciro Ambosio, officer Silvia Coronica and helmsmen Jacob Rusli, ranging from one year and six months to two years and 10 months.
Light sentences to Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed UPI
A panel of judges are allowing for a new forensic examination of the Costa Concordia to be carried out following a lift of the semi-submerged wreckage earlier this year. Remains of the ship are still situated where the cruise liner hit rocks off the island of Giglio in January, killing 32 people. The consumer group Codacons and the criminal defence for Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino petitioned for the new survey to be completed.
Court grants new examination of Costa Concordia shipwreck YBW.com
Witness: 100 aboard Costa ship when captain fled Morning News Online
An Italian court has heard that a coastguard official aboard the doomed cruise liner Costa Concordia had told its captain, Francesco Schettino, to get back on the ship as he fled on a lifeboat leaving almost 300 people to die in the capsizing vessel. The phone conversations between Commander Gregorio De Falco and Captain Schettino were played in the court which revealed that about two-and-a-half hours after the impact of the ship with the rocks, Schettino was on a lifeboat claiming that only 10 people were left on board, Sky News reports.
However, De Falco confirmed that the coastguard officials believed between two and three hundred passengers were still on the ship, when Schettino shook off his responsibility and left in a lifeboat. The ship slowly capsized off the Italian island of Giglio in January 2012 killing 32 people, and Captain Schettino stands trial for manslaughter and abandoning ship.
Costa Concordia Captain abandoned ship Malaysia Sun
100 aboard Costa ship when captain fled Boston.Com
An Italian Coast Guard commander testified Monday he thought the captain of the doomed cruise ship Costa Concordia was unaware of the severity of the crisis. Cmdr. Gregorio De Falco said, at the criminal trial of Capt. Francesco Schettino in Grosseto, Italy, he tried without success to persuade Schettino to return to his duties and help passengers leave the sinking cruise ship. Schettino is on trial for multiple counts of manslaughter in the January 2012 shipwreck of the 951-foot, $618 million cruise ship off the coast of Tuscany that killed 32 people. Thousands more of the 4,200 passengers aboard were plunged into the water when the ship ran aground near the coastal town of Giglio and began to sink.
Captain unaware of severity of Costa Concordia crisis, witness says UPI
Hundreds of people were still aboard the Costa Concordia when the commander fled in a lifeboat, an Italian Coast Guard official testified Monday, adding that rescuers received first word of the seriousness of the shipwreck only after a passenger used a cell phone to call family. Coast Guard Capt. Gregorio De Falco became a national hero after repeatedly ordering Francesco Schettino, the commander on trial in Grosseto, Tuscany, to return to the badly listing vessel. Schettino is charged with manslaughter, abandoning ship and of causing the 2012 shipwreck by sailing too close to the Tuscan island of Giglio. The Concordia smashed into a reef, which gashed the hull, sending sea water pouring in. Thirty-two people died. De Falco told the court that the Concordia sent out its first distress signal 53 minutes after the Jan. 13 collision. Until then, he said, the ship’s officers kept “giving us reassurances about the situation on board,” insisting that the Concordia had only suffered a power blackout.
Read More The Mercury Nation-world
Costa Concordia Trial: Shipwreck ‘Hero and Villain’ Cross in Grosseto Court IBU Times
Costa Concordia captain ‘fled packed ship’ Publication
Gregorio De Falco, who uttered the famous “Get back on board, for f—‘s sake”, comes face to face with Francesco Schettino, the captain of the Costa Concordia
An Italian court was played a tape-recorded exchange on Monday in which Capt Francesco Schettino of the Costa Concordia was told “Get back on board, for f—‘s sake”, by a furious Coast Guard officer hours after the ship rammed into rocks off the island of Giglio.
The order, which subsequently became a talking point in Italy and adorned specially made T-shirts and posters, was given by an incredulous Gregorio De Falco after he found out that Capt Schettino had jumped into a lifeboat while hundreds of passengers and crew were still on board the stricken cruise ship.
The two men came face to face in court for the first time since the capsizing of the Concordia nearly two years ago.
Costa Concordia: court hears moment captain was told to ‘get back on board’ The Telegraph
Carnival Corp. (CCL:US), moving to improve safety following accidents that cost the world’s largest cruise operator tens of millions of dollars, will triple its crew-training capacity with a new facility in the Netherlands.
The company agreed to buy land in Almere for the $50 million project, scheduled to open in 2016, according to Captain Hans Hederstrom, managing director of the company’s Center for Simulator Maritime Training. The complex will have four bridge and engine room simulations, enough to accommodate all of Carnival’s 4,000 deck officers and engineers annually.
“We can increase training, spend more time on simulators and do research and development,” Hederstrom, who is based in Almere, said in a telephone interview.
Carnival has increased its focus on safety following incidents that included the shipwreck of the Costa Concordia off the Italian coast in January 2012 that killed 32 people. The company is spending $700 million to boost fire prevention measures and backup generator capacity on its ships.
Carnival Triples Crew Training to Prevent More Sea Mishaps Bloomburg Businessweek