In Italian court, Irishman Sean Ruddy and Brit David Freeburn got a six month prison sentence and a €200 fine on Saturday. They were caught souvenir hunting in November 2013 in Isola del Giglio, Tuscany, and convicted for stealing a bag with the Costa Concordia logo on it.They were detained by Italian police after they were caught on CCTV entering the vessel.
Two South Africans (Melvin Lotter (31) and Hendrick Johannes Venter (33))were imprisoned for four months and received a €200 fine each. All of them were formerly employed by salvage firm Titan Micoperi. They were all fired after their arrests.
- John and Mandy Rodford from Rochester, Kent, were on dream Italian cruise
- But fourth wedding anniversary celebration in 2012 ended in nightmare
- They revealed their trauma at trial of ship’s captain Francesco Schettino
- Hearing in Grosseto told the couple are each suing firm for a million Euros
- Mrs Rodford: ‘Costa needs to suffer as we have – we almost lost our lives’
John and Mandy Rodford were among the last passengers to be plucked to safety from the stricken Costa Concordia, which struck rocks hours after leaving port for a seven-day Mediterranean cruise.
Both attended the trial today of the luxury liner’s captain Francesco Schettino, who is accused of multiple manslaughter and causing the disaster which cost the lives of 32 people – with one body still to be found.
Costa Concordia survivors John and Mandy Rodford seeking £1m in damages Daily Mail