Costa Concordia survivors tell court for first time of chaos night of crash

Italian court hears first testimony from passengers who survived the disaster, many of whom still suffer from panic attacks and other forms of psychological trauma

Survivors of the Costa Concordia shipwreck have given evidence for the first time in the trial of Capt Francesco Schettino, telling a court in Italy that they still suffer from panic attacks and post-traumatic stress disorder.
The former passengers described the panic and chaos that unfolded after the huge cruise liner hit rocks off the island of Giglio on the night of Jan 13, 2012, saying that not even the crew knew what to do as sea water flooded into the stricken ship’s hull.

Costa Concordia survivors tell court for first time of chaos night of crash Telegraph

Costa Concordia captain had ‘poor’ leadership skills

An Italian court heard yesterday that the leadership qualities of the captain of the Costa Concordia had been brought into question some three years before the cruise liner ran aground.

Francesco Schettino is on trial on charges ranging from manslaughter to negligence and abandoning ship over the January 13, 2012 shipwreck that claimed the lives of 32 of the 4,229 people on board.

The court in the central city of Grosseto called to the stand the former president of the ship’s owners Costa Crociere, Gianni Onorato, and former chairman and chief executive Pier Luigi Foschi.

Costa Concordia captain had ‘poor’ leadership skills Gulf Times

Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino boards grounded off Italy coast for 1st time since disaster

Captain Francesco Schettino stepped aboard the Costa Concordia Thursday for the first time since it capsized off Italy’s coast with him at the controls more than two years ago.

When the vast cruise ship ground into the rocky shore of the Italian island of Giglio on Jan. 13, 2012, 32 people lost their lives. The Costa Concordia has been hoisted upright and secured by salvage workers and is now sitting solidly on two underwater outcrops of rock off the coastline.

Schettino arrived on Giglio aboard a ferry from Italy’s mainland Tuesday night, after the Tuscan court agreed to let him go back onto the ship. The court in Grosseto, where Schettino is facing charges of manslaughter, abandoning ship and causing a shipwreck, authorized an inspection on the Costa Concordia to be carried out by a group of experts and attended by the former captain.

Costa Concordia Captain Francesco Schettino boards grounded off Italy coast for 1st time since disaster CBS News

Trial: Costa Concordia’s captain delayed so first mate took over

On the night of the Costa Concordia tragedy, it was first mate Roberto Bosio who gave the order to abandon ship. As Bosio told the court in the trial of the Captain Francesco Schettino, Schettino refused to.

Instead the ship’s captain ignored numerous requests from officers to give that order and continued talking on a phone to the crisis center of the ship’s owner, Costa Crociere, acting as if he was in denial of the ship’s perilous condition.

Bosio, who has been credited by many with saving lives while going above Schettino’s head and giving the order, told the court that “since he (Schettino) wasn’t giving any input, the other officials turned to me for a decision.”

Trial: Costa Concordia’s captain delayed so first mate took over Digital Journal

Costa Concordia captain didn’t speak of dead, lawyer says

A lawyer for the owner of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia told an Italian court Tuesday that the captain made no mention of those who died in the shipwreck two years ago, but instead boasted that he had saved lives with his skill.

Cristina Porcelli, a lawyer for Costa Crociere SpA, testified Tuesday in the manslaughter trial of the ship’s captain, Francesco Schettino. She said Schettino told her and other company officials the day after the ship capsized on Jan. 13, 2012 that the reef which the vessel smashed into off Giglio Island wasn’t on nautical charts.

Costa Concordia captain didn’t speak of dead, lawyer says WDEF News
Frank to chair Costa, collects $7.5 million from Carnival Marine Log

Experts start inspection of Concordia

A group of technical experts, judges and lawyers set off to board the Costa Concordia on Thursday for an inspection of wrecked ship. The findings of the inspection will provide evidence for the trial of former captain Francesco Schettino, who faces charges of multiple manslaughter and dereliction of duty in connection with the Concordia’s January 2012 shipwrecking off the Tuscan island of Giglio that led to the death of 32 people and the injury of hundreds more. It is the first time the Concordia has been boarded since the successful outcome of a parbuckling operation in September to raise it from its semi-submerged perch off Giglio. The first party inspecting the ship is made up of three judges, court-appointed experts, and lawyers and consultants representing the Concordia’s owner, Costa Cruises. Other groups will inspect it later on Thursday.

Experts start inspection of Concordia Gazetta del Sud
Experts Inspect Wreckage Of Costa Concordia Cruise Ship As Trial Continues Getty
Life among Italy’s ruins Sydney Morning Herald

Latest Costa Concordia sentencing and salvage news

It is such a shame that those who lost their lives during the Costa Concordia disaster have yet to find rest, and will not be able to until the cruise ship is taken away and the trial of the captain has reached a conclusion. As you know both are still ongoing and so we would just like to keep you up-to-date with the latest news regarding the ill-fated Costa Concordia.

Firstly, we’d just like to inform you that the 5 Costa Concordia staff members that were given light sentences as part of a plea bargain is to be appealed. At the end of January 2014, the Court of Cassation is to review the sentences, where those involved were given just six months to two-year jail terms.

Latest Costa Concordia sentencing and salvage news Cruise Ship News
Concordia officer: captain on phone before crash News OK
Concordia officer: captain on phone before crash wral.com
Another Crewman Confirms Concordia Captain Was Distracted Maritime Executive
Concordia captain ‘distracted’ before deadly crash Gazzetta del sud
Massive resorts hotels put to sea The republic

First Officer: Costa Concordia captain distracted by lover

The captain of tragic Italian cruise ship, the Costa Concordia, was “distracted” on the bridge leading up to the tragedy that killed 32, the ship’s First Officer Ciro Ambrosio said. Ambrosio is testifying at the trial of Francesco Schettino this week.

He said Schettino had returned to the bridge after having his dinner and was accompanied by the woman Moldovan dancer Domnica Cemortan, who, earlier in the trial admitted she was the captain’s lover. He had taken command of the ship, Ambrosio said at the trial in Grosseto, Italy.

“But he did not immediately speak the phrase ‘I’m taking control,’ which signals a change in command,” Ambrosio told the court. “However, given the way he positioned himself, I assumed he had taken command and I thought I was no longer in charge. Then, since the captain was distracted, and we were getting closer to Giglio, I gave orders to the helmsman.

First Officer: Costa Concordia captain distracted by lover Digital Journal

Light sentences to Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed

Light jail sentences given in a plea bargain to five Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed in Italy’s Supreme Court, prosecutors said Monday.
On Jan. 31 the Court of Cassation will review sentences handed down in manslaughter trials after the ship ran aground last year off the coast of Tuscany, killing 32 people, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.

Prosecutors in Florence, Italy, are contesting light jail sentences given in July to crisis management chief Roberto Ferrarini, hotel quarters director Manrico Giampedroni, first officer Ciro Ambosio, officer Silvia Coronica and helmsmen Jacob Rusli, ranging from one year and six months to two years and 10 months.

Light sentences to Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed UPI

Court grants new examination of Costa Concordia shipwreck

A panel of judges are allowing for a new forensic examination of the Costa Concordia to be carried out following a lift of the semi-submerged wreckage earlier this year. Remains of the ship are still situated where the cruise liner hit rocks off the island of Giglio in January, killing 32 people. The consumer group Codacons and the criminal defence for Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino petitioned for the new survey to be completed.

Court grants new examination of Costa Concordia shipwreck YBW.com

Witness: 100 aboard Costa ship when captain fled Morning News Online