Italian Captain Francesco Schettino was found guilty today for causing the fatal shipwreck of the Costa Concordia and sentenced to 16 years in prison, according to a three-judge panel.
The verdict came after a 19-month-long trial in which Schettino, who had been accused of causing the Jan. 13, 2012 shipwreck near the Italian island of Giglio, was charged with multiple counts of manslaughter and abandoning ship before all 4,200 passengers could be safely evacuated.
Read More ABC
GROSSETO, Italy — Whatever verdict is delivered in the trial of the Italian sea captain for the shipwreck of the Costa Concordia cruise liner and for the deaths of 32 people, survivors and victims’ families already are wondering if justice will be done.The trial, expected to bring a verdict this week, has a sole defendant. Francesco Schettino is accused of causing the shipwreck on the night of Jan. 13, 2012, when he steered too close to a tiny Tuscan island, smashing into a granite reef that sliced open the hull, sending seawater rushing in. Schettino is also charged with multiple manslaughter and injury, and of abandoning the luxury liner when many of the 4,200 passengers and crew were still aboard.
Costa Concordia verdict looms CBS
Costa Concordia captain faces questions
A damning new video shown Wednesday at the trial of Francesco Schettino, captain of the wrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner, appears to show him boarding a lifeboat with passengers still clearly on board the doomed ship.
It was presented to the court as Schettino took the stand for a second day.
Schettino’s lawyer, Domenico Pepe, asked the court not to admit the fuzzy videotape that appeared to show the captain getting onto a lifeboat from the ship’s bow wearing the same jacket and tie he had on at dinner before the ship crashed.
Read more: Costa Concordia captain faces questions
Italian authorities said Saturday that work to float the shipwrecked Costa Concordia so it can be towed away for scrapping can begin Monday. The cruise liner struck a reef when it came too close to Giglio Island in January 2012 and capsized, killing 32 people. After an engineering operation set the Concordia upright in September, crews fastened tanks to its flanks like water wings to float it off underwater platforms for towing to Genoa for scrapping. Concordia’s Italian captain is being tried for manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and abandoning ship.
Costa Concordia wreck set to move SFGate
Captain Francesco Schettino, who was in charge of the Costa Concordia cruise ship when it hit rocks and sank off the Italian coast and who is being tried for manslaughter, for abandoning ship and other crimes, has blamed his officers for the disaster.
“It’s the fault of my officers. It’s stated in the maritime code,” he said.
“We were half a mile away from the coast and at that distance the crew on duty is responsible for steering the ship,” he said.
“We found ourselves on the rocks and nobody said: ‘captain, we are very close, or captain, watch out’,” he claimed, adding he had tried a last-ditch manoeuvre that failed because the helmsman got it wrong.
Costa Concordia captain still denies blame MICE
It is such a shame that those who lost their lives during the Costa Concordia disaster have yet to find rest, and will not be able to until the cruise ship is taken away and the trial of the captain has reached a conclusion. As you know both are still ongoing and so we would just like to keep you up-to-date with the latest news regarding the ill-fated Costa Concordia.
Firstly, we’d just like to inform you that the 5 Costa Concordia staff members that were given light sentences as part of a plea bargain is to be appealed. At the end of January 2014, the Court of Cassation is to review the sentences, where those involved were given just six months to two-year jail terms.
Latest Costa Concordia sentencing and salvage news Cruise Ship News
Concordia officer: captain on phone before crash News OK
Concordia officer: captain on phone before crash wral.com
Another Crewman Confirms Concordia Captain Was Distracted Maritime Executive
Concordia captain ‘distracted’ before deadly crash Gazzetta del sud
Massive resorts hotels put to sea The republic
The captain of tragic Italian cruise ship, the Costa Concordia, was “distracted” on the bridge leading up to the tragedy that killed 32, the ship’s First Officer Ciro Ambrosio said. Ambrosio is testifying at the trial of Francesco Schettino this week.
He said Schettino had returned to the bridge after having his dinner and was accompanied by the woman Moldovan dancer Domnica Cemortan, who, earlier in the trial admitted she was the captain’s lover. He had taken command of the ship, Ambrosio said at the trial in Grosseto, Italy.
“But he did not immediately speak the phrase ‘I’m taking control,’ which signals a change in command,” Ambrosio told the court. “However, given the way he positioned himself, I assumed he had taken command and I thought I was no longer in charge. Then, since the captain was distracted, and we were getting closer to Giglio, I gave orders to the helmsman.
First Officer: Costa Concordia captain distracted by lover Digital Journal
Light jail sentences given in a plea bargain to five Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed in Italy’s Supreme Court, prosecutors said Monday.
On Jan. 31 the Court of Cassation will review sentences handed down in manslaughter trials after the ship ran aground last year off the coast of Tuscany, killing 32 people, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Prosecutors in Florence, Italy, are contesting light jail sentences given in July to crisis management chief Roberto Ferrarini, hotel quarters director Manrico Giampedroni, first officer Ciro Ambosio, officer Silvia Coronica and helmsmen Jacob Rusli, ranging from one year and six months to two years and 10 months.
Light sentences to Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed UPI
A panel of judges are allowing for a new forensic examination of the Costa Concordia to be carried out following a lift of the semi-submerged wreckage earlier this year. Remains of the ship are still situated where the cruise liner hit rocks off the island of Giglio in January, killing 32 people. The consumer group Codacons and the criminal defence for Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino petitioned for the new survey to be completed.
Court grants new examination of Costa Concordia shipwreck YBW.com
Witness: 100 aboard Costa ship when captain fled Morning News Online
An Italian court has heard that a coastguard official aboard the doomed cruise liner Costa Concordia had told its captain, Francesco Schettino, to get back on the ship as he fled on a lifeboat leaving almost 300 people to die in the capsizing vessel. The phone conversations between Commander Gregorio De Falco and Captain Schettino were played in the court which revealed that about two-and-a-half hours after the impact of the ship with the rocks, Schettino was on a lifeboat claiming that only 10 people were left on board, Sky News reports.
However, De Falco confirmed that the coastguard officials believed between two and three hundred passengers were still on the ship, when Schettino shook off his responsibility and left in a lifeboat. The ship slowly capsized off the Italian island of Giglio in January 2012 killing 32 people, and Captain Schettino stands trial for manslaughter and abandoning ship.
Costa Concordia Captain abandoned ship Malaysia Sun
100 aboard Costa ship when captain fled Boston.Com