Costa Concordia to be removed by massive Dutch transport ship

A Dutch salvage firm, Royal Boskalis NV said on Thursday they’ve won a $30 million contract to remove the Costa Concordia. The Italian cruise ship partially sunk 300 metres off of the shore of Giglio Island in the Tuscan Bay on Jan. 13, 2012.

Royal Boskalis NV plans to remove the Costa Concordia next summer by use of their giant ship, the Dockwise Vanguard, normally used for transporting oil platforms. The 114,000 ton Costa Concordia partially sunk when a hole was torn into its hull after it hit a reef.

Dockwise Vanguard to remove Costa Concordia
The largest semi-submersible ship in the world, the Dockwise Vanguard has a flat deck that is 275 metres by 70 metres and is designed to carry extremely heavy and large loads. It fills ballast tanks with water and operates while sitting below water level.
“When the ballast tanks are flooded, the ship deck submerges below the surface, allowing her to handle deep draught cargoes,” a Royal Boskalis press release reads. “Once the Dockwise Vanguard is semi-submersed, the floating Concordia will be brought in position above the deck and as the ballast tanks are emptied, the entire ship, including the Costa Concordia, is brought above the water line, allowing her to transport the cargo in a safe and swift manner.”

Costa Concordia to be removed by massive Dutch transport ship Digital Journal
Shipwrecked Concordia wrested off Italian reefKimt

World’s biggest submersible will carry Costa Concordia

A Dutch salvage firm has won a £20 million contract to remove the wreckage of Costa Concordia from the Italian island of Giglio. The cruise ship, which was raised upright in a complicated operation last month, will be carried on Dockwise Vanguard, the world’s largest semi-submersible ship.

The vessel, more used to transporting oil platforms, has a flat deck measuring 900 feet by 230 feet and is raised and lowered by filling ballast tanks with water.

World’s biggest submersible will carry Costa Concordia Mirror

Blister Tanks Installed on Costa Concordia

The latest step to be completed in the project to turn the stranded cruise ship Costa Concordia upright, so it can be floated away from the Italian island Giglio, is the installation of two blister tanks on the ship’s bow. An Aug. 27 release posted on the website maintained by the Titan Salvage/Micoperi salvage operation indicated the two steel tanks have been set in place. Earlier this year, the companies said they expected to turn the ship in September. “The two blister tanks are special sponsons that provide a net buoyancy of about 4,000 tons and will support the bow during the next three phases of the process: the rotation of the wreck into a vertical position (the so called “Parbuckling”); the resting of the wreck on the artificial seabed; and the refloating,” it stated.

Blister Tanks Installed on Costa Concordia

At last! Costa Concordia to be towed from Giglio in September

Dates for removing the Costa Concordia from its perch 300 metres from the Italian island of Giglio have come and gone but the cruise liner hasn’t moved. But the current date, next month, got a vote of confidence from the man in charge of the project. “If things go as we are expecting. I think September will be the month of the rotation,” Franco Gabrielli told news channel SkyTG24 in Italy. He did not give a specific date but said September must be stuck to or bad weather in later months could make refloating it more difficult and even break the ship apart.

At last! Costa Concordia to be towed from Giglio in September Digital Journal
EU requests data over Venice Cruise ships Euractiv
The best news pictures of the day The Guardian

Costa Concordia removal to cost $1.1bn

The loss for the stricken ship Costa Concordia continues to grow with Munich Re revealing removal costs for the wreck are likely to exceed $1.1bn.
The salvage operation aims to remove the vessel intact rather than cutting it into pieces, adding to the cost and time involved in removing the wreck.
Commenting as it released its interim results on Tuesday, Munich Re raised the estimate for its own share of the burden to €100m from its previous estimate of €80m.

Costa Concordia removal to cost $1.1bn Insurance Insight
Insurance payout for Costa Concordia disaster may top $1.1 billion Business Insurance

Costa Concordia must be raised by winter or could break apart

Flavio Cirillo, Italy’s undersecretary for the environment told the Italian Parliament’s environment committee this week that the Costa Concordia must be removed before the winter. Cirillo said another winter where it now sits could spell disaster.
While the date of removal has changed many times – initially it was thought it would be long gone by now – for months the fall has been floated as the date it will be ready for towing. However, Civil Protection Department chief Franco Gabrielli now says that the companies doing the job must provide greater assurances the environment won’t be harmed for the Costa Concordia to be removed by then.

Costa Concordia must be raised by winter or could break apart Digital Journal

Salvage crews rush for just one chance to move Concordia

Salvage crews are working against time to right and remove the shipwrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship, which is steadily being crushed under its own weight on its granite seabed off the Tuscan island of Giglio.Salvage master Nick Sloane said Monday that the Concordia has compressed some 10 feet since it came to rest on the rocks Jan. 13, 2012, after ramming a jagged reef during a stunt ordered by the captain that cost the lives of 32 people.

Salvage crews rush for just one chance to move Concordia Detroit News
Salvage crews rush for 1 chance to move Concordia Mercury News
Salvage crews rush for 1 chance to move Concordia New Zealand Herald

Removal of Costa Concordia may be postponed until 2014

The removal of the half-sunk Costa Concordia cruise ship off the coast of Italy may be delayed until next year, officials said.The ship has been in its current location off the coast of Tuscany since it hit a rock formation in January 2012, killing 32 people.Franco Gabrielli, commissioner for the Costa Concordia emergency, said Friday the group needs more information from Titan Micoperi Consortium, the company responsible for the cleanup effort, Italy’s ANSA news agency reported.”If they do not provide us with a whole range of assurances, the ship will remain in its current condition until next year when the weather conditions will permit rotating it back on its axis in absolute safety,”

Removal of Costa Concordia may be postponed until 2014 UPI