Royal Caribbean is singlehandedly killing your faint remaining desire to still take a cruise after the Costa Concordia. 300 passenger and crew members were suffering from vomiting and diarrhea as the ship sailed into San Juan, Puerto Rico on Saturday. It’s the the second major health incident for the cruise line in just a month. The Center for Disease Control is investigating, and the ship is being sanitized, thankfully.
A fire that broke out aboard a Royal Caribbean ship Monday did enough damage that the rest of the cruise was canceled and the company said the more than 2,200 passengers will be flown from the Bahamas back to Baltimore where the trip began.
The fire that began at 2:50 a.m. Monday was extinguished about two hours later with no injuries reported. A cause wasn’t immediately known. The Grandeur of the Seas, which left Baltimore on Friday, never lost power and was able to sail into port in Freeport, Bahamas, Monday afternoon. It had been planned to be a seven-night cruise.
The chief executive of Royal Caribbean Cruises has defended the use of big ships, claiming that they are safer and more popular with holidaymakers than the smaller older vessels. Richard Fain, whose company sails the world’s biggest cruise liners, said evacuation was faster from large ships in emergencies such as the recent capsizing of the Costa Concordia because of the greater number of entrances and exits built in.