Costa Concordia: Tug firm’s role in salvage operation

A tug belonging to Holyhead Towing helped pull the ship upright in a 19-hour operation.The luxury vessel had been stuck off Italy’s Tuscany coast since running aground in January last year killing 32 people.The £500m salvage operation was described as one of the largest and most daunting ever undertaken.Holyhead Towing’s tug Afon Cefni was part of the operation to right the vessel. But it was all in a day’s work for the managing director Mark Meade whose fleet of boats operate in more than a dozen countries.

Tug firm’s role in salvage operation

Meet Inken Frühling, the only woman in the Costa Concordia control room the guardian

Jacksonville-based company turned Costa Concordia Actionnewsjax

Ferry Accident Death toll hits 39 in Philippines

CEBU, Philippines (AP) — As the MV Thomas Aquinas cruised toward Cebu city in the central Philippines, navy marshal Richard Pestillos prepared for a brief stop while some passengers watched a band and others soaked in the night breeze on the deck. Then the scene turned chaotic when the ferry, with 870 passengers and crew, and a cargo ship collided late Friday, ripping a hole in its hull, knocking out its power and causing it to list before rapidly sinking as people screamed, according to Pestillos and other witnesses.”The sea was very calm and we could already see the lights at the pier,” Pestillos told The Associated Press on Sunday by telephone.

Ferry Accident Death toll hits 39 in Philippines USA Today

BBC News – Philippines ferry Thomas Aquinas sinks, many missing BBC News
Philippines Looks for Causes of Deadly Maritime Crash Wall Street Journal
Divers at Philippines ferry crash site resume search CBC News
Philippine ferry disaster death toll at 52 Herald Sun
Philippines ferry disaster: bad weather forces search to be suspended with 171 still missing Australia Network News

Prosecutors in hot pursuit of Costa Concordia officers

An Italian judge began hearing a request Monday to send the former captain of the Costa Concordia and five other ship’s officers to trial over the accident which sank the liner with the loss of 32 lives in January 2012. Prosecutors are seeking to have the 52-year-old captain, Francesco Schettino, tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.Both Schettino and the ship’s owners Costa Cruises were heavily criticised over both the accident and the chaotic night-time evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew. Costa paid 1 million euros ($1.31 million) to settle potential criminal charges although the payment did not affect civil lawsuits.

Prosecutors pursue trial for Costa Concordia officers Chicago Tribune
Italy court decides who should stand trial BBC News
owner asks court in Italy to consider it a victim of tragedy South China Morning Post
Costa Concordia wreck removal AFP
Costa Concordia indictment hearings open/a> Euronews
Italy court weighs Costa request to join case as injured party Washington Post

Survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster mark first anniversary of capsized

Baltimore Sun
Survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster marked the first anniversary of the capsized cruise ship that left 32 dead. “After a year we are still traumatized,” said Violet Morreau, a survivor from France. Survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster and relatives of the 32 people who died returned to the Italian island of Giglio on Sunday to mark one year since the luxury cruise liner capsized.A boat ferried the visitors close to where the 290-metre-long (950 ft) ship hit rocks before keeling over on its side off the Tuscan island, where it still lies now.

Survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster mark first anniversary of capsized Baltimore Sun
Lanterns lit for victims of Costa Concordia USA today
A year after Costa Concordia shipwreck, cruise industry emphasizes safety Miami Herald
Survivors mark a year since the Costa Concordia disaster BBC News
survivors and islanders mark disaster’s anniversary. A gathering in Giglio pays tribute to the 32 people who died in the Italian shipping disaster one year ago The Guardian

Concordia: A year after on Jan 13

USA TODAY
A year after the ship ran aground — leaving 30 dead — questions remain about its captain, the risk to marine life and when the Costa Concordia will be removed. Costa Concordia. Workers pass on a small boat near the Costa Concordia on Thursday. Salvage operations to raise the Costa Concordia began in May. Approximately 400 workers are on site day and night. Special care is being taken to protect the environment. A look at the plan:
One year later, Costa Concordia still half-submerged USA Today
Salvaging the Costa Concordia BBC News
Captain steered Costa Concordia ‘like a canoe’, says prosecutor The Guardian
Letter: Survivors ‘Not Welcome’ to Costa Concordia Anniversary Eyewitness News
captain piloted ship ‘like a canoe’ The Independent
New video emerges showing evacuation of Costa Concordia South Florida Business Journal
In pictures: first anniversary of Costa Concordia’s sinking adelaidenow
Costa Concordia survivor relives horror of ship wreck The Telegraph
Costa Concordia maneuvered like a canoe THe Independent
Embedded rock from Costa Concordia to be used in memorial News.com.au
Salvage effort underway for cruise ship – CBS News CBS News

Raising the Costa Concordia, the biggest sea salvage operation ever

Christian Science Monitor
It has lain like a great white whale in the crystal clear waters off the Italian island of Giglio for nine months, but a new, crucial phase to remove the capsized Costa Concordia cruise ship is about to swing into action. A multinational team of more than 450 specialists, including 60 scuba divers, has almost completed the stabilization of the 950-foot long vessel, anchoring it to the rocky sea shore with four massive cables looped beneath its belly.

Read More csmonitor
Read More BBC News

Costa Concordia: Pre-trial hearing begins in Italy

BBC News
Key information about the capsizing of the Costa Concordia cruise ship is being handed over to a panel of experts during a pre-trial hearing in Italy. At least 30 people are believed to have died when the ship struck rocks off the Tuscan coast on January 13. Captain Francesco Schettino denies accusations of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all those aboard were evacuated.

Read More

Concordia hearing: Scapegoat fears for captain Schettino

BBC News
By Alan Johnston BBC News, Italy Ahead of the pre-trial hearing, Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino was said by his family to be both depressed and afraid. His brother-in-law, Maurilio Russo, said the captain was suffering in the knowledge that lives had been lost and was particularly affected by the death of the youngest victim, five-year-old Dayana Arlotti.

Read More

Costa Allegra: Relief as cruise ship docks in Seychelles

BBC News
It is from the same fleet as the Costa Concordia, which sank off the Italian coast in January, killing 32 people. Italian investigators were waiting at Victoria port when the ship docked to question the crew. The Costa Allegra’s captain Nicolo Alba said passengers “were never in any danger”.Chris, one of over 1,000 passengers who stepped ashore, said those on board “thought the worst had happened”.

Read More