The captain of the Costa Concordia did not abandon his ship but was inadvertently “thrown” off the cruise liner during a chaotic evacuation, his lawyer has said at the start of a long-anticipated trial. The trial of Capt Francesco Schettino opened in Grosseto, in Tuscany, the nearest city to the island of Giglio, where the giant ship capsized on the night of January 13, 2012, with the loss of 32 lives.
The 52-year-old captain had not deliberately left hundreds of terrified passengers and crew members to their fate but had been “lightly thrown off” the ship by accident, said Domenico Pepe, his lawyer.
Costa Concordia’s Francesco Schettino ‘thrown off cruise liner’ The Telegraph
Costa Concordia captain trial delayed by lawyers strike Reuters
Costa Concordia trial adjourned in Italy AFP
Costa Concordia’s Captain Trial May Be Delayed Due to Strike Bloomberg
Costa Concordia captain stands trial alone in Italy over shipwreck that killed 32 Vancouver Sun
Trial of Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino begins in Italy ABC Online
Trial over Costa Concordia cruise wreck begins in Italy Fox News
Carnival Corp. (CCL)’s Costa Crociere unit is under probe for “possible violations” of the Italian administrative responsibility law in the Costa Concordia shipwreck probe, the company said in a statement.
Carnival’s Costa Crociere Under Probe in Concordia Wreck Case Bloomberg
Costa is “confident it will be able to demonstrate its full compliance with the law and states its full trust” in magistrates, it said yesterday.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation’s interview with disgraced Captain Schettino. The Costa captain states that he doesn’t understand why the disaster is being treated like a crime. He blames others for striking the rocks, explains that he delayed the evacuation of the cruise ship because he did not want to cause “mass hysteria,” and denies that he abandoned ship.
Read More Cruiselaw news
Read More the Fifth Estate
Read More Bloomberg
The family of Sandor Feher, a Hungarian who died in the wreck of the Italian cruise liner Costa Concordia, is claiming $400 million compensation from the ship’s operators, Hungarian state news agency MTI reported, citing lawyers representing Feher’s parents.In the claim filed in a New York court, the family accuses Carnival (CCL) Plc, Carnival (CCL) Corp. and their Italian subsidiary, Costa Crociere, of “serious negligence”
Read More Bloomberg Businessweek
MILAN – Salvage work to remove the capsized Costa Concordia cruise ship from its rocky perch off Tuscany, where 32 people died, will begin early next month and is expected to take a year, the Italian owner announced Saturday. The U.S.-owned company Titan Salvage won the bid to remove the ship.
Read More Fox News
Read More Bloomberg
Read More The Guardian
Read More Canada.com
Read More Herald Sun
Read More Newser
28 (Bloomberg) — A Carnival Corp. cruise liner is being towed to the Seychelles after a fire erupted onboard, the second accident involving one of its vessels in six weeks. The Costa Allegra currently is being towed by a French fishing vessel. Two tugboats are being sent to the Allegra by the Seychelles Port Authority and they will reach the cruise ship “this afternoon.”
Eight bodies, including that of a five-year-old girl, have been found by divers on the capsizedCosta Concordia cruise ship. It brings the number of confirmed dead since the ship hit rocks off the Tuscan island of Giglio last month to 25. The young girl is likely to be Dayana Arlotti, who was last seen with her father attempting to find a way off the stricken ship. Read More
Salvage workers started removing fuel from the wreck of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that ran aground off the Italian coast a month ago.The operation began at about 5 p.m. local time yesterday and should take 28 working days to complete. Read More
Carnival Sued in Miami Over Fatal Costa Concordia Shipwreck Carnival Corp., the world’s largest cruise line owner, was sued in Miami over the Jan. 13 wreck of the Costa Concordia off the coast of Italy. The complaint, which names six plaintiffs, four Americans and two Italians, was filed Jan. 27 in state court in Miami, said attorney Marc J. Bern, who provided Bloomberg with a copy. The filing couldn’t be independently confirmed with the court. Read More