Costa Concordia Divers Find More Remains


Divers have recovered what could be more human remains from the sea off Tuscany where the Costa Concordia cruise liner sank last year.

The latest discovery was announced by Franco Gabrielli, the head of Italy’s civil protection agency, the organisation in charge of the wreck.

“Other remains have also been found and are currently undergoing DNA tests,” Mr Gabrielli said.

Mr Gabrielli announced last week that, in what was described as “almost a miracle”, human remains had been found following the refloating of the 114,500-ton vessel.

Thirty-two people in total died when the ship capsized after striking rocks off close to the island of Giglio, in January last year.

The bodies of 30 victims were recovered but the bodies of an Indian man and an Italian woman were not found.

Costa Concordia Divers Find More Remains Sky News
More human remains found near wrecked cruise ship Mirror News
Divers Find More Remains at Costa Concordia Wreck Cruise Critic
Costa Concordia Missing Victims Russel Rebello and Maria Grazia International Business Times
More Remains Found at Costa Concordia Wreck Discovery News
http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2013/10/02/more-remains-found-at-costa-concordia-site Welland Tribune

Costa Concordia passenger to be reunited with luggage after nine months

The Guardian
Austrian man’s suitcase washes ashore on Italian island of Elba, 17 miles from where cruise ship capsized.
Nine months after the Costa Concordia cruise ship smashed into the Tuscan island of Giglio, one passenger is finally set to get his suitcase back after it washed ashore 17 miles away on a different island, The suitcase, which was found on a beach on the island of Elba on Monday, belonged to an Austrian man who was among the 4,300 passengers and crew who fled the vessel as it capsized in shallow water in January, leaving 32 people dead.
Read More theguardian
Read More Discovery News
Read More Miami Herald
Read More Frommers

Costa Concordia captain “in fighting mood” in Italian court

GROSSETO, Italy (Reuters) – The Italian captain of the Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, took the witness stand in a pre-trial hearing on Thursday, refusing to accept sole blame for sinking the cruise liner with the loss of 32 lives. Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and abandoning ship before the evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew was complete. He has admitted making mistakes but says he should not be the only person blamed.”We are trying to find out exactly what happened,” Schettino’s lawyer Francesco Pepe told journalists in a break during the closed-door hearing in Grosseto.

Read More Discovery News
Read More The Guardian
Read MoreSBS World News
Read More Cruise Critic
Read More Reuters
Read MorePort Technology
Read More NBC World news

100 Years After Titanic, Safety Still a Concern

Discovery News
The Costa disaster raised questions about whether safety is still an issue for top-of-the-range, floating leisure palaces. In the 10 years prior to the Costa Concordia accident only 28 people had died in ship incidents, 22 were crewmembers. The Titanic was the pride of the industry when it went down off the coast of Canada on its maiden voyage a hundred years ago with the loss of 1,514 lives, a giant of a ship.

Read More Discovery News
Read More niagara-gazette
Read More Mirror
Read More NBC Bay Area
Read More News 24
Read More France 24
Read More Jakarta Globe

Concordia Captain: ‘OK, Whatever’ as Ship Teeters: Video

Discovery News
Dramatic video footage has emerged from the Costa Concordia’s command deck showing the relaxed reaction of the cruise ship’s captain in the crucial hour after it struck rocks off the Tuscan island of Giglio. Broadcast by the Mediaset network TG5 news  Released Saturday, the second part of the video shows crew members failing to understand the gravity of the situation. Laughing, they blow kisses, smoke, joke about the ship’s growing tilt and say “I love you, mamma” and “we’ll make it.”
Read More

Link to nine minute video