Costa Concordia Trial: Captain Schettino ‘Jumped in Lifeboat’

Captain Francesco Schettino jumped into a lifeboat and abandoned the Costa Concordia minutes before his cruise liner capsized off the Italian island of Giglio, a court has heard. Concordia midshipman Stefano Iannelli told a court in Grosseto, Tuscany, that Schettino did not fell from the liner, as the captain and his defence team maintained, but boarded a lifeboat and safely made his way to shore while passengers struggled in the water. Iannelli said that as the Concordia was being evacuated after it hit a rock he was helping people off the vessel with a rescue team on the fourth deck of the starboard side.

Read More IBTimes
Captain Schettino ‘Jumped into Lifeboat Euronews
Testimony: Schettino fled Costa Concordia ‘just before’ deck sank UPI
Captain ‘Jumped Off Sinking Costa Concordia’ Sky News
Four men suspected of trying to steal items from Costa Concordia wreck Fox News
‘Captain Coward’ Jumped to Safety, Costa Concordia Crewman Confirms Maritime Executive
Dublin man among four arrested on suspicion of stealing from Costa Concordia The Journal
Captain Francesco Schettino jumped off sinking Costa Concordia, trainee officer tells court Perth Now

Costa Concordia captain ‘plotted fatal sail past for days’


The captain of the doomed Costa Concordia cruise ship had been plotting his fatal “sail past” of the island of Giglio for days, a court has heard.

The Italian court was also told that after steering the 114,000 tonne vessel into the island’s rocky coast, Francesco Schettino failed to give clear instructions to officials after they discovered sea water flooding the engines through a tear in the hull.

Schettino is on trial facing charges of manslaughter, shipwreck and abandoning ship for his role in the capsizing of the Costa Concordia in January 2012 during which 32 passengers and crew drowned. He was in court in Grosseto on Monday to hear statements from engine room officer Giovanni Iaccarino.

“Schettino wanted to sail very close to Giglio the week before,” he said.

Costa Concordia captain ‘plotted fatal sail past for days’
Costa Concordia captain changed routeNewstalk
Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino ‘too calm’ in cruise tragedy, Italian crewman says The Telegraph
Costa Concordia trial hears claims captain wanted to sail close to … Euronews
Ex-first mate criticizes Capt. Schettino when Costa Concordia crashed UPI
Crew testifies about Concordia chaos, maneuver Seattle Times
Crew Testifies About Concordia Chaos, Maneuver Time World
Crew testifies about Concordia disaster, says charts were correct Global Post
Concordia captain made admission: witness

Costa Concordia to be righted next week

More than 20 months after it capsized in shallow waters off the coast of Italy, the Costa Concordia cruise ship is finally set to be righted Monday in a massive, risky operation set to last 12 hours.

Since captain Francesco Schettino ran the ship aground Jan. 13, 2012, off the island of Giglio, killing 32 people, Italian officials have fretted over how to move the giant vessel.

Even just a few months ago, the plan seemed “crazy” — and there was no “plan B” if it failed.

Costa Concordia to be righted next week UPI

Costa Concordia Wreck Seen From The Air In Impressive Photo Huffington Post

Costa Concordia to be raised from the sea two years after disaster that killed 32 Mirror

Costa Concordia Wreck Rotation: Tentative Date Set Marinelink

Costa Concordia Cruise Ship Set Upright Next Week Claims Journal

Costa Concordia Wreck Could Be Raised Monday
Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/949302/costa-concordia-wreck-could-be-raised-monday/#J8ZD8Zrg5Rdx15AG.99
Inquisitr

Capsized Costa Concordia ship to be raised from sea BBC

Salvage of Costa Concordia wreck is most expensive ever New Scientist

Engineers, insurers on edge as Costa Concordia salvage nears Euronews

Costa Concordia to be righted ITV

Costa Concordia Shipwreck will refloat

YOU could say he’s a tradie in a scuba suit. Joshua Thomas from Ballina is the only Australian diver working as part of the international team of professional divers attempting to salvage the Costa Concordia cruise ship off the coast of Italy. The now infamous ship struck a rock in the Tyrrhenian Sea just off the eastern shore of Isola del Giglio, west of Italy. It grounded just north of the village of Giglio Porto, in shallow water with most of its starboard (right) side under water.

Costa Concordia shipwreck will refloat byronnews

Costa Concordia Captain to Stand Trial in July Euronews

Concordia captain fails in deal bid over crash

The captain of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Tuscany last year, killing 32 people, has failed in his bid for a plea bargain. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all passengers and crew were evacuated.His lawyer, Francesco Pepe, said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at trial, but when the other defendants all sought plea bargains, his defence team sought one, too. Mr Pepe said prosecutors have agreed to plea bargains for all except Schettino. That means Schettino might be the only defendant if a trial is ordered.

Concordia captain fails in deal bid over crashHerald.ie
Drumming up cruise interest The Province
‘Manners police’ to keep Venice tourists in line, effort is sponsored by Costa Crocieregazzettadelsud
Costa Concordia hearing re-openseuronews

Costa Concordia captain denied plea bargain in deadly shipwreck

GROSSETO, Italy – Italian prosecutors on Tuesday rejected a plea bargain bid by the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that ran aground off Italy last year, killing 32 people, defense lawyers said. Capt. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all 4,200 passengers and crew were evacuated.Defense lawyer Francesco Pepe said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at a trial but when the five other defendants in the shipwreck off the Tuscan coast all sought plea bargains during a closed-door hearing Tuesday, his defense team decided to change strategy.

Costa Concordia captain denied plea bargain in deadly shipwreck Fox News
Costa Concordia captain back in court Reuters
Costa Concordia hearing re-opens Euronews
Francesco Schettino’s offer to plead guilty in return for a sentence of three years and four months is rejected by prosecutors. Skynews
Costa Concordia suspects want plea bargains Newstalk JB
Costa Concordia captain back in court Brisbane Times
Costa Concordia Captain Schettino sought a plea bargain, rejectedDigitalJournal.com
Plea deal for Costa Concordia captain rejected Telegraph

Prosecutors in hot pursuit of Costa Concordia officers

An Italian judge began hearing a request Monday to send the former captain of the Costa Concordia and five other ship’s officers to trial over the accident which sank the liner with the loss of 32 lives in January 2012. Prosecutors are seeking to have the 52-year-old captain, Francesco Schettino, tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.Both Schettino and the ship’s owners Costa Cruises were heavily criticised over both the accident and the chaotic night-time evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew. Costa paid 1 million euros ($1.31 million) to settle potential criminal charges although the payment did not affect civil lawsuits.

Prosecutors pursue trial for Costa Concordia officers Chicago Tribune
Italy court decides who should stand trial BBC News
owner asks court in Italy to consider it a victim of tragedy South China Morning Post
Costa Concordia wreck removal AFP
Costa Concordia indictment hearings open/a> Euronews
Italy court weighs Costa request to join case as injured party Washington Post

Italian court to decide on possible charges over 2012 Costa Concordia wreck

CTV NewsGROSSETO, Italy — An Italian court opened a hearing Monday into whether to hand down indictments against the captain and some crew of the Costa Concordia cruise ship for the 2012 grounding off Tuscany that killed 32 people. Prosecutors want Capt. Francesco Schettino to stand trial for alleged manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning the ship before all the 4,200 passengers and crew had been evacuated. They want four other crew members and a Costa manager on land to face charges of having botched the emergency.

Italian court to decide on possible charges over 2012 Costa Concordia wreck ctvnews
Costa Concordia pre-trial hearings begin news.com.au
Costa Concordia wreck removal France24
Court to decide on Concordia trial Press Association
Cruise ship disaster pre-trial hearings begin in Italy AFP
Costa Concordia’s final voyage – FRANCE 24 France 24
Court weighs Costa Concordia indictments iol.co.za
Costa Concordia indictment hearings open EuroNews

Costa Concordia survivors describe ‘Goliath’ fight against cruise industry

msnbc.com (blog)
Shortly after the Costa Concordia ran aground off the coast of Italy, leaving at least 32 people dead, Costa Cruises began offering settlements to the survivors of the accident. Nancy and Mario Lofaro of New Rochelle, N.Y., said they were offered $14,500 by the cruise line following the Jan. 13 incident.

Read More MSNBC
Read More CBS News
Read More Trade Only
Read More Marine Link
Read MoreMmegionline
Read More Google
Read More Euronews
Read More The Australian
Read More BBC
Read More ITN
Read More CNNPressroom

Costa Concordia captain taken off house arrest, on town arrest

DigitalJournal.com
The captain of the ill-fated Costa Concordia, the Italian cruise ship that listed and partially sank, Francesco Schettino, was taken off of house arrest but put on a ‘town’ arrest. An Italian magistrate made the change Friday.

Read More Digital Journal
Read More Examiner.com
Read More Express.co.uk
Read More Bayou Buzz
Read More Euronews
Read More Today Travel