Carnival cruise ship to be towed after fire


CNN
(CNN) — A Carnival cruise ship in the Gulf of Mexico with more than 4,200 passengers and crew will be towed to port after a weekend engine fire left it dead in the water, a cruise line official said. The U.S. Coast Guard cutter Vigorous arrived to aid the stranded ship early Monday, the Coast Guard said.

Carnival cruise ship to be towed after fire strands it in Gulf of Mexico CNN Travel
Carnival cruise ship in Gulf of Mexico to be towed after engine fire Miami Herald
Carnival cruise ship adrift off of Mexico after fire in engine room Fox News
Carnival cruise ship on emergency power after fire USA today
Carnival Cruise Ship Adrift Following Fire ABC News
Carnival cruise ship floats in Gulf of Mexico after engine fire, will be towed CNN

Captain of shipwrecked Costa Concordia says he was ‘distracted’

Fox News
The captain of the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia, which ran aground killing 32 people, said he was distracted shortly before the collision. In a TV interview with Italy’s Canale 5, Francesco Schettino described the accident and said he was distracted by a phone conversation just before the ship crashed into a reef off an Italian island and capsized.

Read More Fox News
Read More NY Daily News
Read More Travel Daily News
Read More National Post
Read More News.com. au
Read More Time.com

Covering a cruise ship disaster

CNN
I first saw the Costa Concordia glinting in the winter sun from 20,000 feet as my flight from London made a slow descent on its way to Rome’s Fiumicino airport. It seemed a distant blade of light lying next to a speck of an island. A surge of gasps and chatter reverberated around the cabin as Italian passengers craned their necks to see it. As I later approached the island on a ferry, the ship again came into view almost as soon as the ferry left the mainland.
Read More CNN
Read More Marine Link
Read More Belfast Telegraph
Read More Fox News
Read More CNN Pressroom
Read More Miami Herald
Read More Travel AOL
Read Morelloyds list

Cruise industry expands safety rules in wake of Costa Concordia …

CNN International
Two of the largest cruise ship industry organizations announce new safety policies aimed at helping during an emergency at sea. Under two new rules, a record of the nationality of all passengers aboard vessels will be kept on land and made readily available to search-and-rescue teams in an emergency, and passengers will be given a specific set of safety instructions during “musters,” or safety drills.

 
Read More CNN
Read More Fox News

Performers suing for $200M following Costa Concordia wreck

Fox News
Four performers who entertained passengers on the doomed Costa Concordia are suing the luxury liner’s owners and operators for $200 million. The musicians and dancers — all from Hungary — accuse Carnival Corp. and the Italian Costa Crociere SpA cruise line of “gross negligence” in the deadly Jan. 13 crash off the coast of Italy.

Read More Fox News
Read More Washington Post
Read More Big Pond News
Read More Port Technology

Costa Concordia to be salvaged in 1 piece

Fox News
MILAN – Salvage work to remove the capsized Costa Concordia cruise ship from its rocky perch off Tuscany, where 32 people died, will begin early next month and is expected to take a year, the Italian owner announced Saturday. The U.S.-owned company Titan Salvage won the bid to remove the ship.

Read More Fox News
Read More Bloomberg
Read More The Guardian
Read More Canada.com
Read More Herald Sun
Read More Newser

Divers recovering 5 bodies from Italy cruise wreck

USA TODAY
GIGLIO, Italy (AP) – Divers have recovered nearly all of the bodies from the wreck of the Costa Concordia, two months after the cruise ship struck a reef and capsized off Italy’s Tuscan coast. Italy’s Civil Protection Agency said that by late afternoon divers had brought up all five bodies located by search crews last week in the wreck off Giglio island.

Read More USA Today
Read More AG-IT
Read More Fox News
Read More KAALtv.com

Costa Concordia Disaster: Bell Disappears From Shipwreck Site

Huffington Post
ROME, March 15 – Underwater thieves have evaded an array of laser systems that measure millimetric shifts in the Costa Concordia shipwreck and 24-hour surveillance by the Italian coast guard and police to haul off a symbolic booty – the ship’s bell. Prosecutors have opened an investigation to find out who filched the modern-day Titanic’s bell.

Read More Huffington Post
Read More CBS News
Read More Daily Mail
Read More Christian Post
Read More Fox News
Read More USA Today

Costa Concordia owners consider six proposals to remove vessel

Fox News
ROME – The Italian owners of the Costa Concordia ship that capsized off the Tuscan coast are considering six proposals to remove the vessel — a massive, yearlong operation that may involve breaking up the massive liner. Costa Crociere SpA said in a statement Friday that each plan submitted for bidding consideration envisages a 10-12 month salvage operation. And each one focuses on ensuring the least environmental impact around the tiny island of Giglio, which is in a marine sanctuary, Costa said.

Read More

U.S. citizens may face legal hurdle

Fox News

 But Bern’s civil complaint against Costa Cruises and its operator, Miami-based CarnivalCorporation, faces a major legal problem because of where the lawsuit is being filed, according to legal experts. U.S. citizens who were on the Costa Concordia and want to sue may be lost in the sea of fine print written on the back of their ticket vouchers, according to legal experts.

Read More