Divers have found human remains in the wreck of the Costa Concordia and will check whether they belong to the one person still unaccounted for 2 1/2 years after the luxury liner sank, Italian authorities said on Wednesday.
Russel Rebello, an Indian who worked as a waiter on the ship when it hit rocks and sank off the Tuscan coast in January 2012, killing 32 people, is the only victim of the disaster whose body has not yet been found.
Rebello’s relatives have been informed of the findings on the third deck of the ship, which is due to be broken up for scrap after being towed from Tuscany to the northern port of Genoa in July. Bones Found on Costa Concordia Maritime Executive
“A case of Schettino in Korea” has been the recurring headline in Italian newspapers in the past few days – a reference to the Italian liner’s captain now on trial for an accident in which 32 people lost their lives.
The same number of people are now confirmed dead in the Sewol tragedy, while 270 people are still missing.
As frustration and despair run high in the South Korean republic, everyone’s attention has focused on the 69 year old captain Lee Joon-Seok, who, witnesses say, chose to flee the tilted ship without a minute-long hesitation. Earlier on Friday he was arrested along with two of his crew members. Here are five similarities between the disasters Captain in charge
In January 2012 the Costa Concordia ran aground off the Tuscan coast in Italy with 4,252 passengers and crew onboard. Thirty-two of them died – twice the total of fatalities between 2005 and 2010.
In February of 2013, an engine room fire broke out aboard the Carnival Triumph off the coast of Mexico, leaving the ship and its approximately 4,000 passengers and crew stranded and adrift for five days until tugs could bring the vessel into port. Investigative reports by news agencies later stated that crew members and the company itself were aware of the risk before the vessel set sail. And just two years earlier, the Carnival Splendor had a similar engine room fire.
Passenger safety and security are at the forefront of the cruise industry these days, and for good reason. According to the website Cruisejunkie.com, 18 crew and passengers went overboard in 2013, 24 in 2012, and 23 in 2011. The site also reports that 66 cruise and ferry vessels have run aground since 2005 and 55 vessels, large and small, have actually sunk between 1979 and 2013.
It is such a shame that those who lost their lives during the Costa Concordia disaster have yet to find rest, and will not be able to until the cruise ship is taken away and the trial of the captain has reached a conclusion. As you know both are still ongoing and so we would just like to keep you up-to-date with the latest news regarding the ill-fated Costa Concordia.
Firstly, we’d just like to inform you that the 5 Costa Concordia staff members that were given light sentences as part of a plea bargain is to be appealed. At the end of January 2014, the Court of Cassation is to review the sentences, where those involved were given just six months to two-year jail terms.
Captain Francesco Schettino jumped into a lifeboat and abandoned the Costa Concordia minutes before his cruise liner capsized off the Italian island of Giglio, a court has heard. Concordia midshipman Stefano Iannelli told a court in Grosseto, Tuscany, that Schettino did not fell from the liner, as the captain and his defence team maintained, but boarded a lifeboat and safely made his way to shore while passengers struggled in the water. Iannelli said that as the Concordia was being evacuated after it hit a rock he was helping people off the vessel with a rescue team on the fourth deck of the starboard side.
Insurance industry payouts related to last year’s sinking of cruise liner Costa Concordia have continued to rise and are likely to top $1.1 billion as salvaging of the wreck continues, reinsurer Munich Re said on Tuesday. Last year the ship struck a rock as it sailed close to the picturesque island of Giglio, prompting a chaotic evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew. The ship had a value of $500 million, Munich Re said. “That’s already been paid for,” Munich Re board member Torsten Jeworrek told a news conference on the reinsurer’s second-quarter earnings.
Maritime Law: 11th Circuit Keeps Costa Concordia Lawsuits in Miami-Dade Circuit Court
After Carnival’s cruise ship Costa Concordia ran aground off the coast of Italy, two separate actions were filed by groups of 56 and 48 plaintiffs in the Circuit Court of the Eleventh Judicial Circuit of Florida (our Miami state court).
Carnival removed both actions to the federal district court, claiming that the district court had subject-matter jurisdiction under the mass-action provision of the Class Action Fairness Act of 2005 (CAFA), Pub. L. 109-2, 119 Stat. 4. The Plaintiffs moved for remand to the state court on the ground that the district court lacked jurisdiction and the district court granted the motion.
According to The Parbuckling Project, the water condition in the island of Giglio is good. The people of Giglio received this positive news from the Observatory on the recovery of the Costa Concordia during the last, periodic information meeting on the progress of operations for the removal of the wreck.
Such findings are the result of research studies conducted by authoritative study groups composed of Arpat, Ispra and by the Universities of Florence, Pisa, Rome, Cagliari and the Politecnico of Marche.
Scientific data shows that, despite the presence of the wreck, the sea state is no different from the rest of the island waters and from the sea water of Tuscany.
NBCNews.com Costa Concordia cruise ship captain says sacking unfair. The captain of the Costa Concordia which ran into a rock and capsized off the Italian coast in January, killing up to 32 people, has sued for wrongful dismissal, his lawyer said on Wednesday. Italian Francesco Schettino was not only fired by Costa Cruises but is accused by prosecutors of causing the accident by sailing the luxury cruise liner too close to shore.He faces charges of multiple manslaughter and abandoning ship and preliminary hearings will begin on Oct. 15.
The owner of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Italy has agreed to pay $11000 to each of the 235 French nationals affected. And a settlement has been reached for survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster.The owner of the Costa Concordia cruise liner that ran aground off Italy has agreed to pay $11,000 to each of the 235 French nationals affected.