Removal of Costa Concordia ‘could pollute sea’ around island of Giglio


The removal of the Costa Concordia threatens to pollute the pristine waters around the Italian island of Giglio where the ship capsized two years ago, according to a new report which has angered local officials and environmentalists.
The technical report prepared by the ship’s parent company, Costa Cruises, says that the waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea could be contaminated with chemicals and hydrocarbons as the ship is refloated and towed away in July.
The report seek to play down possible pollution as “temporary and of little significance” but the company says it also wants to ensure that nets, skimming machines and other equipment are in place to recover oil and other materials expected to be released from the 950-ft liner when it is moved.

Removal of Costa Concordia ‘could pollute sea’ around island of Giglio Telegraph

Costa Concordia survivors tell court for first time of chaos night of crash

Italian court hears first testimony from passengers who survived the disaster, many of whom still suffer from panic attacks and other forms of psychological trauma

Survivors of the Costa Concordia shipwreck have given evidence for the first time in the trial of Capt Francesco Schettino, telling a court in Italy that they still suffer from panic attacks and post-traumatic stress disorder.
The former passengers described the panic and chaos that unfolded after the huge cruise liner hit rocks off the island of Giglio on the night of Jan 13, 2012, saying that not even the crew knew what to do as sea water flooded into the stricken ship’s hull.

Costa Concordia survivors tell court for first time of chaos night of crash Telegraph

Another Blonde-Bimbo-in-the-Bridge

Its been two years since the deadly Costa Concordia disaster. It’s much safer now the cruise lines assure us. The cruise line trade organization, CLIA, reminds us of all of the new protocols which the cruise industry implemented shortly after the Concordia capsized.

One of the new rules prohibits family, guests or other persons not essential to the navigation of the vessel from being on the bridge. This was to prevent “disruptions and distractions to the bridge team members while monitoring the navigation of the ship.”
This new proposal came about because at the time of the disaster, disgraced Captain Schettino had invited his (often-photographed-in-a-bikini} paramour, Moldovan dancer Domnica Cemortan, to the bridge.
I call this the “no-bimbo’s-on-the-bridge” protocol.
It’s pretty embarrassing that this is how the playboy officers on the Costa cruise were acting at the time of the disaster. It’s even more embarrassing that the cruise lines had so little confidence in their navigational crew that they had to adopt a policy outlawing such immature, fraternity-like behavior.

Another Blonde-Bimbo-in-the-Bridge Cruise Law News
Costa Cruises under fire after Romanian blonde poses with machinegun on bridge of ship Telegraph
Passengers Urge 3rd DCA To Keep Costa Concordia Suits In Miami Daily Business Review
The Civil Service undergoes a peer review
The House of Lords debate on the future of the Civil Service is likely to expose the tensions and fears at the heart of Whitehall
Telegraph

Costa Concordia captain denied plea bargain in deadly shipwreck

GROSSETO, Italy – Italian prosecutors on Tuesday rejected a plea bargain bid by the captain of the Costa Concordia cruise ship that ran aground off Italy last year, killing 32 people, defense lawyers said. Capt. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship before all 4,200 passengers and crew were evacuated.Defense lawyer Francesco Pepe said Schettino had wanted to defend himself at a trial but when the five other defendants in the shipwreck off the Tuscan coast all sought plea bargains during a closed-door hearing Tuesday, his defense team decided to change strategy.

Costa Concordia captain denied plea bargain in deadly shipwreck Fox News
Costa Concordia captain back in court Reuters
Costa Concordia hearing re-opens Euronews
Francesco Schettino’s offer to plead guilty in return for a sentence of three years and four months is rejected by prosecutors. Skynews
Costa Concordia suspects want plea bargains Newstalk JB
Costa Concordia captain back in court Brisbane Times
Costa Concordia Captain Schettino sought a plea bargain, rejectedDigitalJournal.com
Plea deal for Costa Concordia captain rejected Telegraph

Costa Concordia captain: I will sail again

Telegraph.co.uk
The former captain of the Costa Concordia is convinced he can one day return to the helm of a cruise ship, despite being under investigation for abandoning ship and causing the deaths of 32 people. He was responding to journalists’ questions as he entered a court near Naples, where he is fighting his dismissal by Costa Cruises, the Italian company that owns the Concordia. He wants his job back, despite being blamed for the disaster that unfolded on the night of Jan 13 last year.

Costa Concordia captain: I will sail again Telegraph
Costa Concordia captain: I’ll command again Washington Times
Costa Concordia captain says he’ll ‘certainly’ command another ship CTv News
Costa Concordia disaster Breaking News
Costa Concordia captain in court to appeal against his sacking – The Birmingham Mail

Costa Concordia owners accused

Ialian prosecutors broadened the inquiry into the Costa Concordia disaster on Thursday, announcing that they will investigate alleged failings by the cruise line owners. The widening of the investigation is likely to be beneficial to former passengers, and the relatives of the 32 people who died in the tragedy, who have launched class actions against Costa Cruises and its parent company in the United States, Carnival Corporation. They are seeking tens of millions of pounds in compensation for the loss of loved ones and for the trauma they experienced on the night of Jan 13, 2012.

Costa Concordia owners accused of playing down extent of catastrophe telegraph

Costa Concordia wreck attracts day trippers

Telegraph.co.uk
Costa Concordia wreck attracts day trippers. The site of the Costa Concordia tragedy – which earlier this year claimed the lives of 32 people – has become a magnet for “disaster tourism”. Costa Concordia wreck attracts day trippers. The vessel struck a…
Read More Telegraph

Read More Theage.com
Read More ETurbo news

Costa Concordia: Capt Francesco Schettino ‘could be sentenced to 2500 years’

The captain of the capsized Costa Concordia could be sentenced to a cumulative total of more than 2500 years in prison if convicted of causing a shipwreck abandoning ship and multiple counts of manslaughter. The length of sentence was calculated by Italian newspapers, which totted up the jail terms that Capt Francesco Schettino could face if convicted on all the charges that are expected to be brought against him.

Costa Concordia: Italian woman sues over miscarriage after cruise

Telegraph.co.uk‎ – 5 hours ago
An Italian woman who claims the terror and trauma of being involved in the Costa Concordia cruise ship disaster caused her to have a miscarriage has filed for a million euros in damages and compensation. The woman, identified only as Cristina M, survived the ordeal but miscarried a week afterwards. Read More

Read More