Concordia captain made route change

THE captain of the shipwrecked Costa Concordia cruise liner personally ordered a route change which took the vessel dangerously close to the island of Giglio, an Italian court has been told.

The Concordia ran aground and capsized near Giglio on January 13, 2012, killing more than 30 people.

Captain Francesco Schettino is accused of having steered the ship close to the island to repeat a stunt – a so-called “bow” – which had been performed before.

First Deck Officer Giovanni Iaccarino told judges in Grosseto that on the night of the disaster the captain ordered the crew to sail at a distance of half a nautical mile from Giglio, rather than the normal 5 nautical miles.

Concordia captain made route change: court The Australian

Costa Concordia cruise ship to be raised next week

The wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship could be upright again next week, nearly two years after the liner capsized and killed at least 30 people off the Italian coast.

The giant vessel, which has lain partly submerged in shallow waters off the Tuscan island of Giglio since the accident in January 2012, will be rolled off the seabed and onto underwater platforms.

Workers will look for the bodies of two people, an Italian and an Indian unaccounted for since the disaster, as machines haul the 114,000-tonne ship upright and underwater cameras comb the seabed.

The exact day of the Concordia’s rotation – known as parbuckling – has yet to be set, but on Wednesday Civil Protection Commissioner Franco Gabrielli said Monday was likely. Read More

Costa Concordia cruise ship to be raised next week GMA NEWS

Italy’s wrecked Costa Concordia cruise ship to be raised Global Post

Costa Concordia to be righted soon WAtoday

Costa Concordia Salvage Attempt Just Days Away Skift

Operation to set Costa Concordia upright to start next week The Australian Travel and Indulgence

Huge salvage operation to turn the Costa Concordia CBS News

It’s Almost Time To Flip The Shipwrecked Costa Concordia — Here’s How The Complex Plan Will Go Down San Francisco Chronicle

Titan Salvage’, based in Pompano Beach, will attempt to upright the Costa Concordia ABC Action News

Work to right Costa Concordia to start next week Times of Malta

$1 billion bill for Costa Concordia salvage

NEARLY two years after it struck rocks and capsized off the coast of Tuscany, the luxury cruise liner Costa Concordia is to be hoisted upright in an unprecedented billion-dollar salvage operation.

The project is, according to officials, the most complex such manoeuvre undertaken due to the size of the 290m ship, which weighs 114,500 tonnes, twice that of the Titanic, and because it is perched on its side on a steep, rocky slope.

$1 billion bill for Costa Concordia salvage

Costa Concordia captain asks judge for tests on shipwreck

The captain of the capsized Costa Concordia on Thursday asked the judge at his manslaughter trial to order tests on the cruise liner’s wreckage to determine why electrical and other systems failed after the vessel struck a reef off an Italian island in 2012, killing 32 people.

The outcome of the request from Francesco Schettino, the sole defendant, won’t be known until at least September. After only two full days of hearings, Judge Giovanni Puliatti on Thursday adjourned the trial until Sept. 23 for summer’s break.

Costa Concordia captain asks judge for tests on shipwreck CTV
Costa Concordia Captain Offers Plea Deal Afloat
Costa Concordia Trial Adjourned Through Septembercruise critic
Captain wants tests on Costa Concordia The Australian
Don’t blame only me, says Costa Concordia disaster captain Express
Prosecutors demand CCTV footage from doomed Costa Concordia Daily Mail
Concordia captain facing 20 years as plea likely to fail Independent.ie
Concordia Captain’s Lawyers Seek New Expert Survey of Ship Hulk Malaysia Sun

Costa Concordia trial hears details of victims’ deaths

The Italian court trying the captain of the Costa Concordia has heard grim details about how the 32 victims of the shipwreck drowned, some after diving or falling into the sea from the capsized cruise liner when lifeboats were no longer accessible. A court official read out the names of the deceased passengers and crew members and described how each one died, quoting verbatim from the indictment of the Concordia’s captain, Francesco Schettino.

Costa Concordia trial hears details of victims’ deaths Guardian
Costa Concordia captain’s trial resumes in Italy Fox News
Costa Concordia Captain Trial to Draw Hundreds of WitnessesBloomberg Businessweek
Costa Concordia trial opens amid victims’ anger The Telegraph
Costa Concordia captain wants plea deal CBCNews
Costa Concordia cruise wreck captain has second plea bid rejected Worldnews
Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino wants plea deal in Italy The Australian
Costa Concordia captain expected to make new request for plea bargaintheguardian

Costa Concordia victims mark 1-year anniversary

CBS News
GIGLIO, Italy Survivors of the Costa Concordia shipwreck and relatives of the 32 people who died marked the first anniversary of the grounding Sunday with the unveiling of memorials to the victims, a tearful Mass in their honor and a minute of silence to recall the exact moment that the cruise ship rammed into a reef off Tuscany.
Costa Concordia victims mark 1-year anniversaryCBS News
Costa Concordia ‘out by September’ BBC
Salvagers in Italy Say Costa Concordia Wreck May Be Gone by Summer’s End New York Times
Costa Concordia terror still fresh Toronto Star
Year after wreck, salvage of Costa Concordia falls behind schedule LA Times
Survivors re-live Costa Concordia cruise ship tragedy The Australian
Service In Memory Of Costa Concordia Dead Sky News
1 year on, survivors of Costa Concordia to mark the disaster CNN
Costa Concordia liner hell Brits banned from one year memorial … The Sun
A year after Costa Concordia disaster, emotions resurface NBC News

Costa Concordia captain opens up to NBC News

9NEWS.com
NEW YORK – Captain Francesco Schettino, the man at the helm just before the fatal Costa Concordiaaccident, sat down and spoke for himself for an hour-and-a-half exclusively to NBC News. He is accused of manslaughter, causing the wreck by coming too close to an island and then abandoning ship. He accepts some, but not all, responsibility for this enormous disaster which sent more than 4,000 people scrambling to get off the ship and killing 32 people, describing it to NBC’s Michelle Kosinki as “a really bad day in his life.”
Read More 9news
Read More UPI.com
Read More MJ
Read More The Australian
Read More Legal Examiner
Read More South FLorida Business Journal
Read More Cruise Critic

Costa Concordia survivors describe ‘Goliath’ fight against cruise industry

msnbc.com (blog)
Shortly after the Costa Concordia ran aground off the coast of Italy, leaving at least 32 people dead, Costa Cruises began offering settlements to the survivors of the accident. Nancy and Mario Lofaro of New Rochelle, N.Y., said they were offered $14,500 by the cruise line following the Jan. 13 incident.

Read More MSNBC
Read More CBS News
Read More Trade Only
Read More Marine Link
Read MoreMmegionline
Read More Google
Read More Euronews
Read More The Australian
Read More BBC
Read More ITN
Read More CNNPressroom

Viking Ventures: Safety policies should be adopted into the cruise ship industry

my.hsj.org
This editorial is about the wake of the deadly Costa Concordia cruise ship accident off the coast of Italy in January 2012. The cruise industry is now proposing implementing new safety standards. Cruise Lines International Association, the world’s largest cruise non-profit organization representing 26 companies, announced Tuesday it is putting in place standards to “achieve concrete, practical and significant safety dividends in the shortest possible time.” It says, among other new policies, that all cruise ships must now have a muster emergency drill before the ship leaves port. Not a day or two after it sails
Read More my.hsj.org
Read More The Australian
Read More Bloomburg
Read More Travel Mole
Read More Insurance Insider

Carnival’s business all at sea after cruise disaster

The Australian
THE sinking of the Costa Concordia with the loss of at least 25 lives has pushed the world’s largest cruise operator into the red and caused a slump in bookings. Carnival Corporation said at the weekend it had lost $US139 million ($131m) in the three months to the end of last month, largely because of the disaster off the coast of Italy.

Read More