The youngest victim of the Costa Concordia sinking died shortly after being told there was no space for her or her father in a lifeboat, Italian prosecutors have said. Five-year-old Dayana Arlotti and her father Williams Arlotti were two of the 32 people who lost their lives when the cruise liner crashed into rocks off the island of Giglio in January last year.
Italian prosecutors have officially requested an indictment of the Costa Concordia‘s captain on manslaughter charges after the grounding of the cruise liner killed 32 people off the Tuscan coast last year. Prosecutors in Grosseto, Tuscany, are also seeking the trial of Francesco Schettino on charges of causing a shipwreck and abandoning the vessel during the frantic and confused evacuation of passengers and crew.
It was 9.45pm on a Sunday evening and my wife, Emily, and I were relaxing in our cabin on the Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia. We’d married two weeks earlier and this was our honeymoon: 17 days cruising around Europe. At first we thought nothing of the soft scratching noise, although later we’d realise it was the sound of the hull being ripped open by a rock. Moments after, we felt the ship tilt ever so slightly to the starboard side…
Survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster marked the first anniversary of the capsized cruise ship that left 32 dead. “After a year we are still traumatized,” said Violet Morreau, a survivor from France. Survivors of the Costa Concordia disaster and relatives of the 32 people who died returned to the Italian island of Giglio on Sunday to mark one year since the luxury cruise liner capsized.A boat ferried the visitors close to where the 290-metre-long (950 ft) ship hit rocks before keeling over on its side off the Tuscan island, where it still lies now.
We had just sat down and ordered at the restaurant in the stern when we heard a huge bang and we knew immediately that we had hit something. Then came the earthquake, which was the ship being opened like a tin of tuna as it scraped along the rocks of Read More The Guardian Read More Cruise Critic
GROSSETO, Italy (Reuters) – The Italian captain of the Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, took the witness stand in a pre-trial hearing on Thursday, refusing to accept sole blame for sinking the cruise liner with the loss of 32 lives. Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and abandoning ship before the evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew was complete. He has admitted making mistakes but says he should not be the only person blamed.”We are trying to find out exactly what happened,” Schettino’s lawyer Francesco Pepe told journalists in a break during the closed-door hearing in Grosseto.
MILAN – Salvage work to remove the capsized Costa Concordia cruise ship from its rocky perch off Tuscany, where 32 people died, will begin early next month and is expected to take a year, the Italian owner announced Saturday. The U.S.-owned company Titan Salvage won the bid to remove the ship.
Agenzia Giornalistica Italia
(AGI) L’Aquila- “So far, everything is going well”, stated Civil Protection chief Franco Gabrielli after a meeting on the quake. “We are on schedule, and should soon know which company or group of companies will deal with removing the ship.
Passengers from the Costa Concordia shared tales of their trauma at a preliminary hearinginto the causes of the cruise ship disaster as damning new details about its captain emerged. Francesco Schettino, who is under house arrest after steering the ship on to rocks on the island of Giglio on 13 January, was not wearing his glasses that night, the ship’s first officer has told investigators. “He had forgotten them,” said Ciro Ambrosio. “He asked me a number of times to adjust the scale of the radar because he couldn’t see it well.” Read More