Italy’s emergency commissioner urged the immediate removal of the shipwrecked Costa Concordia Thursday.
Franco Gabrielli said the cruise ship “must leave as soon as possible.” The ship sank after striking rocks off the coast of the island of Giglio in 2012, leading to the deaths of 32 people aboard and the continuing trial of its captain, Francesco Schittino,
Altero Matteoli, president of a public works commission, said the ship could be towed to the nearby port of Piombino for dismantling and disposal, instead of towing it to Genoa, as the original plan suggested.
Remove Costa Concordia now, Italian minister says UPI
Light jail sentences given in a plea bargain to five Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed in Italy’s Supreme Court, prosecutors said Monday.
On Jan. 31 the Court of Cassation will review sentences handed down in manslaughter trials after the ship ran aground last year off the coast of Tuscany, killing 32 people, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Prosecutors in Florence, Italy, are contesting light jail sentences given in July to crisis management chief Roberto Ferrarini, hotel quarters director Manrico Giampedroni, first officer Ciro Ambosio, officer Silvia Coronica and helmsmen Jacob Rusli, ranging from one year and six months to two years and 10 months.
Light sentences to Costa Concordia staff members will be appealed UPI
An Italian Coast Guard commander testified Monday he thought the captain of the doomed cruise ship Costa Concordia was unaware of the severity of the crisis. Cmdr. Gregorio De Falco said, at the criminal trial of Capt. Francesco Schettino in Grosseto, Italy, he tried without success to persuade Schettino to return to his duties and help passengers leave the sinking cruise ship. Schettino is on trial for multiple counts of manslaughter in the January 2012 shipwreck of the 951-foot, $618 million cruise ship off the coast of Tuscany that killed 32 people. Thousands more of the 4,200 passengers aboard were plunged into the water when the ship ran aground near the coastal town of Giglio and began to sink.
Captain unaware of severity of Costa Concordia crisis, witness says UPI
Captain Francesco Schettino jumped into a lifeboat and abandoned the Costa Concordia minutes before his cruise liner capsized off the Italian island of Giglio, a court has heard. Concordia midshipman Stefano Iannelli told a court in Grosseto, Tuscany, that Schettino did not fell from the liner, as the captain and his defence team maintained, but boarded a lifeboat and safely made his way to shore while passengers struggled in the water. Iannelli said that as the Concordia was being evacuated after it hit a rock he was helping people off the vessel with a rescue team on the fourth deck of the starboard side.
Read More IBTimes
Captain Schettino ‘Jumped into Lifeboat Euronews
Testimony: Schettino fled Costa Concordia ‘just before’ deck sank UPI
Captain ‘Jumped Off Sinking Costa Concordia’ Sky News
Four men suspected of trying to steal items from Costa Concordia wreck Fox News
‘Captain Coward’ Jumped to Safety, Costa Concordia Crewman Confirms Maritime Executive
Dublin man among four arrested on suspicion of stealing from Costa Concordia The Journal
Captain Francesco Schettino jumped off sinking Costa Concordia, trainee officer tells court Perth Now
The captain of the doomed Costa Concordia cruise ship had been plotting his fatal “sail past” of the island of Giglio for days, a court has heard.
The Italian court was also told that after steering the 114,000 tonne vessel into the island’s rocky coast, Francesco Schettino failed to give clear instructions to officials after they discovered sea water flooding the engines through a tear in the hull.
Schettino is on trial facing charges of manslaughter, shipwreck and abandoning ship for his role in the capsizing of the Costa Concordia in January 2012 during which 32 passengers and crew drowned. He was in court in Grosseto on Monday to hear statements from engine room officer Giovanni Iaccarino.
“Schettino wanted to sail very close to Giglio the week before,” he said.
Costa Concordia captain ‘plotted fatal sail past for days’
Costa Concordia captain changed routeNewstalk
Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino ‘too calm’ in cruise tragedy, Italian crewman says The Telegraph
Costa Concordia trial hears claims captain wanted to sail close to … Euronews
Ex-first mate criticizes Capt. Schettino when Costa Concordia crashed UPI
Crew testifies about Concordia chaos, maneuver Seattle Times
Crew Testifies About Concordia Chaos, Maneuver Time World
Crew testifies about Concordia disaster, says charts were correct Global Post
Concordia captain made admission: witness
ROME, Sept. 6 (UPI) — Approval to rotate the sunken cruise ship Costa Concordia to an upright position could come by next week, Italian civil protection officers said Friday.
The rotation could be completed by the end of September.
It is considered a critical step in removing the ship from the rocks off Tuscany’s Giglio Island, where it sank in January 2012, killing 32 people, the Italian news agency ANSA reported.
Officials approve step in removing liner Costa Concordia UPI
Italy: Permission Granted to Try to Right Damaged Cruise Ship NY Times
Italy gives OK to right capsized Costa Concordia KSL
Carnival Sunshine comes ‘dangerously close’ to shore.
The head of Italy’s Senate committee on art and culture called on the government to limit cruise ships passing through the Venice lagoon after an alleged close call over the weekend reignited local fury and fears of a disaster like the Costa Concordia crash off Tuscany last year that killed 32 people. “After the tragedy of the Concordia, there is still a safety risk tied to the passage of large ships. Especially in Venice, there is an intolerable risk percentage. The government must apply (changes) immediately,” said Andrea Marcucci. On Saturday witnesses reported that the 100,000-ton Carnival Sunshine passed within 20 meters of the Riva Dei Sette Martiri waterfront, not far from St Mark’s Square.
Senators call for action after cruise Gazetta del Sud
Call for action after cruise ship scare in Venice UPI
UNESCO asks Italy to limit access of cruise ships to Venice after Costa Concordia disaster Daily Mail
Are Cruise Ships Damaging Venice? The Daily Beast
The removal of the half-sunk Costa Concordia cruise ship off the coast of Italy may be delayed until next year, officials said.The ship has been in its current location off the coast of Tuscany since it hit a rock formation in January 2012, killing 32 people.Franco Gabrielli, commissioner for the Costa Concordia emergency, said Friday the group needs more information from Titan Micoperi Consortium, the company responsible for the cleanup effort, Italy’s ANSA news agency reported.”If they do not provide us with a whole range of assurances, the ship will remain in its current condition until next year when the weather conditions will permit rotating it back on its axis in absolute safety,”
Removal of Costa Concordia may be postponed until 2014 UPI
A trial for the former captain who allegedly abandoned the Costa Concordia cruise ship after it hit a rock was delayed due to a lawyers’ strike in Italy.Francesco Schettino’s trial was set to begin Tuesday but has been adjourned until next week, the Italian news agency ANSA reported. Schettino is charged with dereliction of duty and multiple manslaughter. The ex-captain was in command of the Costa Concordia when the cruise ship hit a rock on Jan. 13, 2012, near the island of Giglio. He allegedly abandoned ship without overseeing the evacuation, and the disaster cost 32 people their lives.
Costa Concordia captain’s trial delayed due to lawyers’ strike UPI
Costa Concordia Trial Delayed Cruise Critic
Costa Concordia cruise ship captain goes on trial PanARMENIAN.Net
Costa Concordia captain trial delayed by lawyers strike Chicago Tribune