An Italian judge began hearing a request Monday to send the former captain of the Costa Concordia and five other ship’s officers to trial over the accident which sank the liner with the loss of 32 lives in January 2012. Prosecutors are seeking to have the 52-year-old captain, Francesco Schettino, tried on charges including manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship.Both Schettino and the ship’s owners Costa Cruises were heavily criticised over both the accident and the chaotic night-time evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew. Costa paid 1 million euros ($1.31 million) to settle potential criminal charges although the payment did not affect civil lawsuits.
MOBILE, Ala. – The crippled cruise ship whose sewage-filled breakdown in the Gulf of Mexico subjected thousands to horrendous conditions tore loose Wednesday from the dock where it’s being repaired, lumbered downriver and crunched into a cargo ship. Tug boats maneuver around the Carnival cruise ship Triumph as she rests against a dock on the east side of the Mobile River after becoming dislodged from its mooring at BAE Shipyard during high winds Wednesday.Wind gusts near hurricane strength shoved the 900-foot Carnival Triumph free from its mooring in downtown Mobile, Ala., where the ship was brought in a five-day ordeal that began when an engine fire stranded it off of Mexico in February. Hours later, four tug boats used several mooring lines to secure the ship to the cruise terminal.A 20-foot gash about 2 to 3 feet wide was visible about halfway up the hull from the water and it wrapped partway around the stern. Underneath the gashed area, two levels of railing were dangling and broken. Electric cables that had been plugged in on shore were dangling from the port — or left — side of the ship. Carnival said damage, though, was limited.
What to do if your cruise ship becomes disabled Fox News
This is the third Carnival ship in less than two months to experience difficulties at sea. In February, the Carnival Triumph was crippled by an onboard fire in the Gulf of Mexico, leaving passengers stranded for days while the ship was towed back to land.
Francesco Schettino, the erstwhile captain of the Costa Concordia—the ill-fated cruise ship that still lies in a heap off the Tuscan island of Giglio—faced his accusers and a handful of passengers in a closed-door preliminary hearing in Grosseto. Schettino was the captain of the Costa Concordia when it crashed into an outcropping off Giglio last Jan. 13. Thirty-two people died. Few dispute that Francesco Schettino was responsible for wrecking the Costa Concordia. The tougher question for a judge bringing charges is who is most responsible for the botched evacuation and 32 deaths, Barbie Latza Nadeau reports. Read More Daily Beast Read More Washington Post Read More USA Today Read More Christian Science Monitor Read More kgmi Read More The Age Read More LLoyds
11, 2012 – Hundreds of the passengers from the stricken Italian cruise ship Costa Concordia and up to 1,000 businesses on the island where it ran aground are pressing ahead with U.S. lawsuits against Miami-based Carnival Corp. (/Associated Press)
GROSETTO, Italy — An Italian court has postponed a preliminary hearing seeking to determine charges against those responsible for the Costa Concordia shipwreck that killed 32 crew and passengers. The court said Saturday it has adjourned the hearing
GIGLIO, Italy – Six months after it capsized off Italy’s Giglio island, the Costa Concordia still lies on its side – a monument to what prosecutors say was reckless navigation. The 122000-ton, 1000 foot long cruise liner, which hit a rock and partially sank on January 13, claiming the lives of 32 people including two Americans, has become part of Giglio’s skyline. For locals it has become an eyesore that stops them enjoying the view of the Tuscan shore. But for tourists it represents a perfect photo opportunity for their summer albums. Read More MSNBC Read More Seattle Times Read More Washington Post
CANBERRA, Australia — Ships and aircraft were searching Friday for scores of men missing … fishing boatcarrying about 200 suspected asylum seekers bound for Australia capsized in heavy seas south of Indonesia. Read More Washington Post Read More Newsday Read More CNN Read More Huffington Post
Four performers who entertained passengers on the doomed Costa Concordia are suing the luxury liner’s owners and operators for $200 million. The musicians and dancers — all from Hungary — accuse Carnival Corp. and the Italian Costa Crociere SpA cruise line of “gross negligence” in the deadly Jan. 13 crash off the coast of Italy. Read More Fox News Read More Washington Post Read More Big Pond News Read More Port Technology
A Carnival Corp. cruise liner was released to sail from a Texas port by a U.S. judge who ordered it seized yesterday in a lawsuit over a death in the Costa Concordia shipwreck off Italy. U.S. Magistrate Judge John Froeschner released the MS Carnival Triumph today from a seizure order holding the cruise liner in its home port of Galveston. BusinessWeek Read More Chron.com Read More Atlanta Journal Constitution Read More Miami Herald Read More overheadbin Read More Washington Post Read More NZ Herald.co.nz