Costa Cruises, the company whose Concordia cruise liner capsized in January last year with the loss of 32 lives, has made a deal with an Italian court that will limit its criminal liability for a fine of just €1 million. The plea bargain payment, which curtails the cruise operator’s criminal culpability for the disaster, is a set tariff. It means Costa Cruises will not face any more criminal charges and will now aim to participate in the forthcoming trial as an injured party.
Gazzetta del Sud english
Rome, November 16 – The captain of Italia cruise liner Costa Concordia that hit a Tuscan island in January killing 32 people on Friday said he expected an apology from all those who called him ‘captain coward’ for abandoning ship. “All I read about me are indecent falsehoods,” Francesco Schettino told Il Giornale daily. “There is evidence that tells a completely different story…they want to make me out as a coward but that’s not so. I didn’t abandon ship”.
GROSSETO, Italy (Reuters) – The Italian captain of the Costa Concordia, Francesco Schettino, took the witness stand in a pre-trial hearing on Thursday, refusing to accept sole blame for sinking the cruise liner with the loss of 32 lives. Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing the shipwreck and abandoning ship before the evacuation of more than 4,000 passengers and crew was complete. He has admitted making mistakes but says he should not be the only person blamed.”We are trying to find out exactly what happened,” Schettino’s lawyer Francesco Pepe told journalists in a break during the closed-door hearing in Grosseto.
Francesco Schettino, the captain of the capsized Costa Concordia, faced the survivors and families of victims at a court hearing where audio from the ship’s black box was released. An Italian court heard on Tuesday that equipment aboard the Costa Concordia luxury liner may not have been functioning when she ran aground and capsized, killing 32 people. The list of issues compiled by a panel of court-appointed experts included a wide range of alleged malfunctions, from lights that did not work during the disaster to the possibility that radar equipment had been turned off or broken. Read More NBC Read More Youtube Read More The Telegraph
(CBS News) A preliminary hearing began Monday in the case of the Costa Concordia, the cruise ship that capsized off the Italian coast last January, killing 32 people. The proceedings are based on evidence from the ship’s black box recordings. Documents before the court run to 270 pages, including navigational details and conversations on the bridge of the Costa Concordia.
Tourists visiting the former fishing port of Santo Stefano on the Italian Tuscan coast, are being offered a new, macabre experience. For 10 euros ($12), visitors can take a trip to see the ghostly wreck of the 114500-tonne Costa Concordia luxury cruise Read More Youtube
As Costa Crociere registers a substantial bounce-back in passenger volumes in the wake of the Costa Concordia disaster and continues to work on restoring its image, Italian investigators are still exploring the reasons behind the grounding of the 114,500gt ship.
Travel Weekly UK
By Ian Taylor | Jun 11, 2012 17:48PM GMT The boss of Carnival Corporation, Micky Arison, has hit back at claims by a crisis management expert that the company handled the sinking of the Costa Concordiaappallingly. MediaHouse executive chairman Jack Read More Sun Sentinel Read More Travel Weekly Read More Youtube